Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Uppingham Town's teams secure a victory double in the Peterborough League cup competitions

A fine four-goal away win secured a fourth successive Peterborough Senior Cup triumph for Uppingham Town on Saturday.

Josh Porter, Rob Forster, Callum O'Berg and Ben Easson netted the goals in the victory at Leverington which cemented unbeaten Town's grip on top spot in Group D.

They were missing Martin Turiccki, Will Thomas and James Howe for the trip but Town's emerging young talent again stepped up to the mark.

Rob Forster was on target for Town.
Rob Forster was on target for Town.

Teenage duo Fin Bishop and Noah Oliver both did well after coming off the substitutes' bench while Oliver Lewin continues to impress with full-back Harry Bains producing another accomplished performance.

Manager Paul Sheehan said: "We did well and it was a good experience for the young lads because it was a different type of game of football for them.

"We made a great start and had enough chances to put the game to bed early on, but Leverington equalised just before half-time and turned the game into a battle.

"It had become a difficult match because they were still in the game when they should have been out of it.

"But, to be fair to the lads, they moved the ball around really well in the second half and we played well.

"It was a battle but we came through it and the lads who have come up to help us are doing well."

Town hit their stride straight from kick-off and could have put the contest out of their hosts' reach inside the opening 15 minutes.

O'Berg side-footed over from a Robbie Pearce free-kick before Lewin sent a header against the crossbar minutes later.

Forster fired another shot against the upright before O'Berg pulled a cross back invitingly for the Town frontman who sent his effort straight at the home goalkeeper.

Town did then break the deadlock midway through the first half when Porter saw his header from a corner blocked but he reacted first to force home the rebound through a crowded box.

But Leverington battled back and were able to level the scores just before the break when they took advantage of a mix-up at the back and Harley Hollis hit home a fine finish for their equaliser.

Town regained their composure after the break and took the lead again on the hour mark when O'Berg broke down the right and crossed for Forster to fire home from close range.

Bishop was then introduced and was twice denied by impressive saves from an outstanding home goalkeeper who also thwarted Forster and O'Berg.

The vital third goal did arrive with 10 minutes remaining when O'Berg was sent clear by Pearce and he finished well by dummying his shot before side-footing home.

Easson then completed the scoring with two minutes left after Forster had led a Town breakaway and teed up the chance which was finished smartly into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Callum O'Berg (centre) scored Uppingham's third goal.
Callum O'Berg (centre) scored Uppingham's third goal.

Uppingham Reserves recorded their first victory to get their Peterborough Minor Cup campaign back on track after a 3-2 home success over Hampton A.

Josh Bryan, Jack Godfrey and Josh Spencer were on target for Town who are fifth in the seven-team Group A.

They were up against it before the match even started with a depleted squad of just 11 players due to injuries and first team call-ups.

However, that didn't deter Town who from the kick off were the stronger team and had the lions share of possession.

They made the breakthrough after 30 minutes following a slick one-two between Bryan and Omar Elkashoty which led to Bryan going through on goal and calmly slotting past the keeper.

Town then doubled their lead when Jack Lewis carved open the Hampton defence with a superb through ball to Spencer who drilled his shot into the bottom corner.

Uppingham were still in control and soon made it 3-0 when Godfrey collected the ball and from 35 yards smashed his shot into the top left hand corner.

That goal seemed to spur Hampton into life and they thought they had pulled one back but for a fine save from stand-in keeper Martin Owers after Town failed to clear the ball from a corner and the visitors sent a shot goalwards that Owers managed to tip onto the post.

Hampton kept the pressure on and finally got the breakthrough when a cross came in and they managed to control the ball and slot it past the Uppingham keeper.

The visitors then had a chance to reduce the deficit from the penalty spot when a clumsy challenge from an Uppingham defender brought down the Hampton striker in the area. However, Owers saved the resulting penalty and then managed to smother the rebounded effort.

Hampton kept pressing but Uppingham stood firm until the final minutes when another clumsy challenge in the box led to a second penalty which this time they converted.

However, it was too little too late for Hampton as the referee blew the final whistle shortly after the restart.

Uppingham joint manager Joe Harley said: "It's been a really frustrating start to the cup run.

"We have played superbly in the first two matches and probably should have won both matches so to have zero points from them has been really frustrating for the lads who give 100 per cent every week.

"Going in to this match with 11 players, myself and Martin Owers just said to the lads to go out there and enjoy it.

"We weren't expecting a result so to dominate the match and bring three points back was a great feeling."

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More