Home   Sport   Article

Stamford Lions make progress in the Lincolnshire Junior Cup with victory over Swineshead Institute

Stamford Lions breezed into the third round of the Lincs Junior Cup with a 5-0 win away at Boston League side Swineshead Institute on Saturday.

It was a fourth consecutive five-goal haul for the Lions who have now scored 24 goals in their last five games since the 1-0 defeat to Long Sutton.

Manager James Sheehan said: "We have a good spread of players across the team capable of scoring goals and it’s important we play with a system that allows them to attack.

Lions boss James Sheehan. Photo: Dan Allen (20931300)
Lions boss James Sheehan. Photo: Dan Allen (20931300)

“We learned a lesson from a couple of hurtful defeats earlier in the season and we are now looking far more dangerous going forward.

"This was by no means a straight-forward, easy win. Swineshead made it difficult, they are full on in the tackling department and the lads stood up to a physical challenge.

"In the end we won the battle and got our reward with some well-taken goals."

Lions got off to a perfect start when within five minutes Dan Aust whipped in a dangerous corner and Tom Fearns climbed highest to head in past the keeper.

Tom Edwards should have made it two when he charged down the defender and robbed him of the ball but watched as his shot bobbled wide of the post with the keeper well out of position.

The game was fiercely competitive throughout midfield as tackles went flying in.

Dan Aust and Tom Edwards. Photo: Dan Allen (20931307)
Dan Aust and Tom Edwards. Photo: Dan Allen (20931307)

If Edwards was left frustrated by his earlier miss he was seething when he once again charged away from the defence but this time, not taking any chances, he rolled the ball back into the path of Aust who tapped into the empty net only for a bizarre offside flag to over-rule the goal.

The referee could not be sure that Aust was behind the ball so went with the call of the linesman and disallowed the goal.

Edwards' mood was not helped when only minutes later he was hauled down in the area from behind but his penalty appeals were waved away and he then received the games first yellow card for charging into a defender.

The frustration was eased when in the final minute of the first half Laz Stewart scored a close range header on his first team debut to give the Stamford side a 2-0 cushion at half-time.

Swineshead’s resilience seemed to drain as the second half played out and reserve marksman Ollie Fountain emerged from the substitutes' bench and soon added his name to the scoresheet with a well-taken goal as he tucked his shot into the bottom corner.

Lions sensed they had their opposition on the ropes and went for the kill.

Aust continued his recent goalscoring form with a solo effort that saw him race away from a tiring defence before slotting into the bottom corner.

Fearns then grabbed his second of the match with a calm finish to crown a 5-0 win and seal a home tie for Lions with East Lincs Combination Division Two side Scamblesby in the next round.

Read more

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More