Home   Sport   Article

Harriers hit hot streak; action-packed clash for Bels; frustration for Ketton Reserves

Sam Eldridge scores for Uppingham Reserves in their defeat to Stamford Bels Reserves.
Sam Eldridge scores for Uppingham Reserves in their defeat to Stamford Bels Reserves.

Wittering Harriers have hit a hot streak to mount a challenge for Peterborough League Division One honours.

Harriers have won their last seven league matches to move into third place after a meteoric rise up the rankings.

Wittering won just one of their opening four matches of the season but, following a 6-2 home loss at home to Oundle at the end of November, they haven’t been beaten since.

Their latest success at the weekend was a crushing 10-2 home victory over Netherton United Reserves.

Andrew Moss led the Wittering spree with a four-goal haul while Sam Renwick and Peter Robinson both bagged braces. Daniel MacDonald and Martin Ward were their other marksmen.

Wittering, who have hit 38 goals in their seven-match winning streak, travel to face Crowland Town this weekend.

Oundle defeated Crowland on Saturday as a solitary strike from the prolific Conor Murphy secured their success.

Stamford Bels suffered a narrow 2-1 away loss in an action-packed Peterborough League Division One clash at Ramsey Town on Saturday.

Lewis Morley’s men were forced to play 80 minutes with 10 men following the sending off of Ben Mason in a match that saw both sides miss penalties.

Bels had started well, but that soon changed when last man Mason was forced to make a challenge 35 yards from goal which would have seen the Ramsey striker through on goal and he saw red for his late tackle.

Five minutes later Paul Cramp skipped away from the Ramsey last man to try and put Bels ahead but was fouled six yards out.

The penalty was awarded but no card shown and Dave Atkinson was denied from the spot.

Ramsey capitalised from Bels’ missed chance and went 1-0 up from a great strike.

They then made it 2-0 shortly after half-time with a cool finish.

Rhys Gilson, recently returned from a broken toe, came off the bench to try and change the game around.

Gilson’s presence lifted the Bels team who put up a real fighting performance.

A Tyler Sculthorpe through ball saw Gilson strike into the top corner with 10 minutes remaining.

However, a minute later a Ramsey man was bought down in the Bels box and the home side were awarded a penalty.

Goalkeeper George Winters, the spot kick hero from the cup win over Bretton game, again came out on top again by producing a superb save.

Bels pushed until the end as Chris Dakin forced a great save from the Ramsey keeper in added time as the hosts held out for victory.

Manager Morley said: “It was very frustrating in many ways. The red card killed us, but we battled hard and put up a superb performance.

“We missed key chances and the game could have easily gone in our favour, but at the end of the day we weren’t shy on goalscoring opportunities.

“We dominated play and should have took something from the game. It was a huge boost to bring Rhys back into the squad and he changed the game when he came on.

“We’re already looking forward to our next game against Netherton Reserves in a few weeks.”

Uppingham Town gained an excellent 5-2 home success over fourth-placed Peterborough Polonia.

Jordan Spencer struck twice for Uppingham whose match-winners also included James Howe, Callum O’Berg and Martin Turiccki.

King’s Cliffe suffered a heavy 9-0 home defeat to Tydd St Mary.

Deeping Rangers Reserves’ three-match Premier Division winning run came to an end after a thrilling 4-3 home defeat against Peterborough ICA.

Rangers had led 2-1 at the interval, but were pegged back in the second period by their fifth-placed visitors.

Daniel Pick plundered a brace of goals for Deeping with Troy Waters also on target.

Langtoft remain marooned at the foot of the top flight table after a heavy 7-1 away loss at league leaders Netherton United.

Langtoft Reserves also suffered at the hands of Netherton as their A team ram out 6-0 winners in the Division Two clash at Manor Way.

A disappointing result on all fronts for Ketton Reserves who went down to a 3-0 away defeat at fellow Peterborough League Division Two mid-table dwellers Spalding Town on Saturday.

The fact the game was played again after the original fixture was abandoned with only eight minutes left with Ketton 1-0 up after an unfortunate incident which led to last year’s young player of the year Kian Pearce being taken to hospital with a double leg break was frustrating enough for the Rutland side.

To then return and not put in the type of performance they have been accustomed to over the past couple of months made things worse.

After the first five minutes Ketton were in control with some lovely neat football being played down the left-hand side with Lee Dale linking up well with midfield men Matt Lawrence and Dan Syzmanski.

But it was Spalding who took the lead after an inexperienced tackle from the Ketton defence led to a penalty for the home side.

Ketton continued to play but the longer the half went on they became more complacent and it was Spalding who looked more dangerous on the counter.

After half-time more mistakes were made and Spalding were creating several chances until midway through the second half when they converted two in quick succession and it was game over.

Manager Matt Holdup said: “It was a disappointing performance.

“We didn’t do the basics that have made us a lot harder to play against in recent weeks and as a result we were punished by a side who we should be more than equipped to compete with.

“But since my appointment as manager at the start of the season the lads have all been fantastic towards me and shown great effort and commitment so I can’t complain.

“It’s up to us though now to respond and put in a better team performance in a very tough fixture at Whittlesey next week.”

The first team who were without a game last week are at home to Warboys Town on Saturday.

Stamford Bels Reserves were 4-1 derby winners over Uppingham Town’s second string in their Division Three clash.

Alfie Winters struck twice for Bels with Pete Conneely and Sam Ford also on target. Sam Eldridge replied for Uppingham.

Jake Showler struck twice to earn Glinton & Northborough Reserves a 2-0 away success at Spalding United A in Division Five A.

Wittering Harriers Reserves went down to a 6-2 away defeat at Premiair’s second string in the same division.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More