Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Uppingham Town defeat Pinchbeck United Reserves in the Peterborough Senior Cup

Uppingham Town completed a hat-trick of five-goal displays as they continued their winning run in the Peterborough Senior Cup on Saturday.

They defeated Pinchbeck United Reserves 5-0 at Tods Piece to strengthen their grip on top spot in Group D.

Rob Montgomery struck twice for Town with Billy Henshaw, Callum O'Berg and substitute Rob Forster also on target for an Uppingham side which kept a second successive clean sheet.

Uppingham v Pinchbeck Reserves (46655861)
Uppingham v Pinchbeck Reserves (46655861)

Manager Paul Sheehan said: "It was a good win and it's pleasing to score five goals again, but we are also defending quite well.

"We have a better shape now which is something we have been working on as in the six games before lockdown we let too many goals in.

"It was something that we knew that we had to try and address and it's been good to be able to put something in place.

"We played quite well on Saturday, especially in the first half, and controlled the game."

Town have been without injured defender Jack Salt for the cup campaign while cricket commitments have now ruled out Danny Dumford.

They also suffered a setback on Saturday when the influential James Howe was forced off after twisting his knee in the first half.

Uppingham v Pinchbeck Reserves (46655921)
Uppingham v Pinchbeck Reserves (46655921)

It was Howe's first start since injuring his ankle in a warm-up match before this cup competition and he now faces a couple of months on the sidelines.

They introduced 17-year-old Noah Oliver at half-time on Saturday for his first team debut and he produced an excellent display at right-back.

Town were three goals to the good by the interval after taking a 15th minute lead when Montgomery latched onto a long ball from Josh Porter and finished well in a one-on-one.

Uppingham v Pinchbeck Reserves (46655920)
Uppingham v Pinchbeck Reserves (46655920)

The lead was doubled five minutes before the break when Robbie Pearce's shot was parried by the Pinchbeck keeper and Forster converted the rebound.

There was still time for Town to add a third on the stroke of half-time as Montgomery scored from close range after a scramble in the box.

They regularly rotated their players after the break and added a fourth on the hour with a cracking header from Henshaw following a corner.

Forster missed a couple of good opportunities to increase Town's lead while goalkeeper Tom Hubbard made a smart save from a free-kick to deny Pinchbeck a consolation.

The hosts wrapped up the win with their fifth goal late on as Oliver and Will Thomas combined well down the right to cross for O'Berg who finished well in the box.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More