Home   Sport   Article

Vartan scores nine goals as Bourne Deeping 4ths hit double figures

Andrew Vartan scored an amazing treble hat-trick as his nine-goal haul helped Bourne Deeping 4ths to a 10-0 away win at Leadenham in Saturday’s Division 5NW contest.

Penalty corners are not usually converted with such precision, but the Dragons team enjoyed one of those games.

It is the dominance of the squad that creates the pressure that leads to chances and penalty corners and goals.

James Watkins was unerring in his injection and Rob Chorlton’s stopping left little to think about other than the quality of the strike.

Five conversions from penalty corners were supplemented by being in the right place in open play to take the opportunities coming Vartan’s way with three further goals.

The treble hat-trick was completed late on when Bourne Deeping were awarded a penalty stroke duly converted.

The space afforded to Vartan was only made possible by the constant running of Tim Kisiel and he was rewarded with his goal but should be given great credit for the work for the team in an excellent start to the year.

St Ives v Bourne Deeping 2nds. Photo: James Biggs Photography (6551649)
St Ives v Bourne Deeping 2nds. Photo: James Biggs Photography (6551649)

Despite being boosted by the return from injury of Stuart Biggs and Oliver Vartan - who both got themselves on the scoresheet - it was the defensive frailties which ultimately cost Bourne Deeping 2nds who suffered a 7-3 defeat at St Ives on Saturday.

Having weathered an early flurry from a lively St Ives side, in no small part indebted to Andy Briault's goal saving diving clearance which deflected a thunderbolt of a shot over the bar, Bourne Deeping raced into a two-goal lead.

Vartan found the bottom corner with a lovely turn and shot from the top of the D and then a Biggs reverse hit which though initially blocked was forced over the line at the second or third attempt.

Taking the lead seemed to surprise the Dragons and they were caught napping on the ball in their own 25.

Saints grabbed a goal back from one such defensive lapse and then a penalty flick was awarded after a shot was blocked in the D by the defender's shin pad.

The Dragons' third goal took them back into the lead following a yellow card for a Saints stick tackle on Clarkson.

It needed the defenders to stand up and shut up shop, but a converted short corner and a quick breakaway took Saints back into the lead.

A change in formation ensued after the break, but discipline was lacking across the entire pitch. Two green cards and a yellow left gaps which St Ives were all too happy to exploit and Dragons can have no complaints and must learn from this if they are to stand any chance of staying in Division 2N.

St Ives v Bourne Deeping 2nds. Photo: James Biggs Photography (6551788)
St Ives v Bourne Deeping 2nds. Photo: James Biggs Photography (6551788)

Bourne Deeping 3rds welcomed in the new year with a crucial 4-3 win over Alford 1sts in Division 4NW.

With Alford being within one win of Bourne Deeping in the table, taking the points off them was a massive step towards safety for the Dragons.

The first half was rusty affair with many cobwebs still to be blown away. Two errors from the home team gifted the opposition a goal on both occasions and, while Alford threatened at times and were thwarted by Joe Wray in goal, such an advantage seemed unfair.

However, Bourne Deeping did start to find some sort of touch and pulled a goal back shortly before half-time through a Jonny Meadows short corner strike as a result of some fine work by Robin Edlington.

This momentum carried through into the second half as within 15 minutes Bourne Deeping were 4-2 up as the half-time tactics discussion came to fruition.

Chris Mann, in the centre of the field, became dominant and deservedly ended up on the scoresheet as did Andrew Dodds and Meadows again.

The defence tightened up led by Will Watts and Bourne Deeping controlled much of the half.

Alford snuck one back a few minutes before time, but Bourne Deeping looked resolute ahead of another season-defining game at Wisbech 3rds on Saturday.

St Ives v Bourne Deeping 2nds. Photo: James Biggs Photography (6551780)
St Ives v Bourne Deeping 2nds. Photo: James Biggs Photography (6551780)

Bourne Deeping Ladies gained revenge for a defeat earlier in the season when they beat Cambridge City 4ths 3-1 on Saturday.

Their first half performance showed the visitors how much they had stepped up the pace to move into the top of the Division 2NW table.

With strong defenders, agile midfielders and powerful attackers they outshone the opposition with wonderful linking play and high intensity passing.

Jen Biggs bagged a brace while Carol Murray was also on target in a strong first half showing.

They maintained their strong game play in the second half and, despite conceding a goal, were worthy winners.

St Ives v Bourne Deeping 2nds. Photo: James Biggs Photography (6551646)
St Ives v Bourne Deeping 2nds. Photo: James Biggs Photography (6551646)

Bourne Deeping Ladies 2nds hit a perfect 10-goal haul as they continued their Division 4NW(N) championship charge on the long trip to Skegness where they defeated hosts Spilsby.

They picked up where they left off after the Christmas break and, after the returning Lily Fitch had twice gone close, she broke the deadlock with her first-ever goal for the Dragons.

Rachel Adams then doubled the lead with the determined Dragons defensive shield of Emily Langharne, Nadine Curtis, Kay Greenaway, Dawn McShane and Camilla Tait keeping Spilsby at bay.

A fine strike from Millie Durrands from a short corner further increased the Bourne Deeping lead as they took a 3-0 advantage into the half-time break.

Despite a strong Spilsby start to the second half, Dragons soon regained their goalscoring momentum through Kirsty Martin.

Adams converted a Martin shot to make it 5-0 and then Fitch set up Durrands to score her second and Dragons' sixth.

A dynamic shot from Martin over the keeper's head added to the Bourne Deeping total before Adams followed suit to complete her hat-trick.

Dragons continued to dominate with their superior fitness showing through as Sophie Brittain was rewarded with a goal after having several attempts blocked.

Bourne Deeping were still not satisfied and reached double figures in the final minute of the game as Adams netted her fourth to keep Dragons on top of the table.

St Ives v Bourne Deeping 2nds. Photo: James Biggs Photography (6551778)
St Ives v Bourne Deeping 2nds. Photo: James Biggs Photography (6551778)

Bourne Deeping Ladies 3rds produced a stirring fightback to run out 3-2 winners against Alford in Saturday's Division 4NW(N).

The Dragons looked to be heading for defeat when they trailed their visitors 2-0 at the interval, but a storming comeback saw them hit three unanswered goals in the second period.

Penny Linsdell had come close to breaking the deadlock in the first half only to be denied by a fine save as Bourne Deeping created some early chances.

However, they were hit by a double blow as Alford scored twice in quick succession before the interval.

Bourne Deeping had a different attitude in the second half and reduced the arrears when Linsdell found the back of the net.

They got back on level terms through Emma Cowell after being teed up by Amy Webster and, with confidence soaring, Lucy Cowell cracked home the winner.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More