Home   Sport   Article

Unbeaten ladies seconds produce ruthless display

Bourne Ladies inflicted just the second defeat of the season on Cambridge South after a 2-0 away win in Saturday's Division 2NW clash.

The Dragons had a strong squad for the clash as they looked to build on last week's excellent win.

They worked well from the offset, passing the ball and linking up successfully, with Jo Addison securing an early goal worked up from the defence and through the midfield.

Cambridge had some fairly threatening possession after this, but the Dragons defence worked as a strong unit blocking them and sending the ball away confidently.

Bourne Deeping continued to dominate the half with Addison sending in another great goal just before the half-time whistle.

The second half was a similar story with the Dragons having the majority of the possession and creating a few opportunities which resulted in some very near misses.

Overall, it was a very well deserved win for the Dragons and an equally well deserved player of the match for Caroline Geddes after keeping Cambridge away from the D.

Bourne Ladies 2nds v Alford 2nds. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5305547)
Bourne Ladies 2nds v Alford 2nds. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5305547)

Unbeaten Bourne Deeping Ladies Seconds produced a sharp and ruthless display as they recorded their seventh success of the Division 4NW(N) season with a 8-0 home victory over Alford 2nds.

Their spirit and determination of playing as a winning team from the onset continued despite the range in ages and experience.

The passing, running, tackling and ability to score goals made this a dominant performance yet again.

It took them 10 minutes to settle with a few changes on the pitch from the previous week and positioning of players before they applied text book hockey across the pitch by running into space with controlled and possessive play.

It took the Dragons four short corners and several attempts on goal for Rachel Adams to finally make the breakthrough after 20 minutes.

The pressure was off but the Dragons never settled until they knew they were at least two goals clear.

Within the next five minutes Millie Durrands scored two with the first from great positioning to flummox Alford's goalkeper and the second a straight strike on goal from a short corner.

The attacking play continued to pressure Alford with great runs coming in from the midfield of Helena Durrands, Dawn McShane and Jen Orrell to be able to drive the ball into the D for endless shots on goal.

The final attempt was in the 33rd minute from a rebound volley shot in the top left corner from Kirsty Martin for a 4-0 interval lead.

The second half was a repeat of the first with the Dragons knowing this league could go down to goal difference.

It took three minutes of the second half for the fifth goal to hit the back of the net from Orrell.

The Dragons defenders and goalkeeper were nothing more than watching on as the play was all in the attacking half.

Sophie Wheatley's impressive midfield running and skills paid off with an outstanding strike and goal - her first ever for the Dragons.

The Dragons had several near misses on goal that Alford and District were more than thankful for with superb runs down the right from Helena Darragh and Alice Brownlow on the left.

The short corner didn't go to plan either with several attempts not being taken advantage of.

The Dragons were then awarded a penalty flick, but unfortunately Alford's goalkeeper saved Darragh's attempt.

The seventh goal eventually came from Martin before the Dragons had a blip near the end of the match totally against the run of play with the defence having to defend a short corner for the first time.

Martin completed her hat-trick with three minutes remaining to round off another great team performance.

The ladies third team suffered a 5-0 away defeat at Long Sutton 2nds in the same division.

Bourne Ladies 2nds v Alford 2nds. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5305561)
Bourne Ladies 2nds v Alford 2nds. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5305561)

Bourne Deeping 2nds defeated fellow strugglers Norwich City 3rds in a crucial Division 2N clash on Saturday.

The Dragons were out the blocks quickest with Richard Collins pulling the strings in midfield, releasing right back Joe Youngs seemingly at will to create plenty of early chances for the home side.

Oscar Morley has impressed since making his second team debut a fortnight ago and continued his good form with the opening goal.

Ed Sarsby, in the Dragons goal, was called upon to make a sprawling save as Norwich threatened to come back into the game, but Bourne Deeping’s midfield dominance was telling as Matt Clarkson added a second and Matt Bevan a third before half-time.

Norwich pulled a goal back from a short corner but the Dragons were feeling comfortable at half-time and looking to add to their tally, knowing goal difference could be important even this early into the season.

At 3-1 the next goal is always crucial and another Norwich penalty corner to make it 3-2 set the home side’s nerves jangling.

A quick breakaway to make it 3-3 was no more than the away side deserved as they set about Bourne Deeping with some rapid counter-attacking hockey.

The Dragons needed a quick response and it was Andrew Fletcher who stepped up to restore the home side’s lead.

With this end to end 4-3 game hanging in the balance, reckless challenges and naïve defending gifted Norwich a glut of penalty corners which, through sheer dogged determination, the Bourne Deeping defence somehow managed to keep out.

There was still time to give the home supporters palpitations as the Norwich centre forward managed to put the ball on a defender’s foot just as the final whistle was being blown.

The home side were ready to celebrate a first win of the season but the umpire quite rightly decreed that the penalty corner had been awarded before the game had ended.

With hearts in mouths, the penalty corner was switched right. Graham Brewer managed to block the shot but, as the ball popped up, could only help it off the back line.

Another penalty corner to Norwich. This time a switch left and Scott Downie saw the ball out to bring the final whistle and a huge sigh of relief around the ground.

A great game for the neutral and a well-earned first win for the Dragons.

Man of the match was Youngs who was excellent in both defence and attack.

Bourne Ladies 2nds v Alford 2nds. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5305569)
Bourne Ladies 2nds v Alford 2nds. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5305569)

Bourne Deeping Thirds suffered their worst defeat of the season after a 9-2 loss to a Spalding Seconds team that will be favourites to go up from Division 4NW this season.

A humbling first half saw the home team put seven goals into the Bourne Deeping net, ending the contest early on.

Bourne Deeping couldn't match the movement and powerful striking of the Spalding forwards who dominated the half.

There was a chink of light with a nicely taken Rafa Parker-Humby goal following some quality movement down the right with Joe Allen and Jamie Cooper combining and Simon Goode taking the assist.

This wasn't the only bright moment, but the conversion rate of the Spalding team was second to none.

The second half was all the more competitive following a small change in the Bourne Deeping set up and a half loss of 2-1 was all the more respectable.

Parker-Humby was solid in midfield all day, attacking well with Robin Edlington and bringing in the wide players Oliver Thewlas and Mike Gregson.

Parker-Humby netted in the second period after a flowing move again down the right created the opening.

However the Spalding short corner routine saw a high percentage scored and the afternoon relentless for the Bourne Deeping team.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More