Home   Sport   Article

Sara scores four as Ladies Seconds hit double figures

Bourne Deeping Dragons (4747343)
Bourne Deeping Dragons (4747343)

A strong second half performance saw Bourne Deeping register their first Premier B win of the season on Saturday after a 4-1 home success over Waltham Forest.

Four goals in the second half secured the win which has moved the Dragons up to fifth place in the early standings.

The Dragons huffed and puffed in the first half with very little spark as lack of ball pace and forcing passes saw the players’ frustrations grow with their own performance.

What made it worse was that Waltham Forest took the lead from a scrappy short corner rebound.

James Sharpe was not happy with an umpiring decision, didn’t retreat five yards on a free hit and then pole-axed the Forest player resulting in a yellow card.

The rest of the first half finished with only a few minor incidents which sparked a strong and honest half time chat with coach Shorter asking for the real Bourne Deeping to stand up.

Out came a different Dragons team after the break with fast passing, keeping the ball, better movement and decision making.

Phil Arnold made a darting run down the right and was found by a defence-splitting pass from Shorter and Tom Everton drew the penalty stroke at the back post within five minutes of the restart. Up stepped Simon Miles whose flick rocketed into the back of the goal.

The onslaught then started and Waltham Forest could not cope for the next 30 minutes as Bourne Deeping attacked at pace and defended as a pack.

Andy Williams, having another man of the match performance, just can't stop scoring.

Shorter passed into Williams who bobbled past three defenders, drew the on-rushing keeper and slotted home for a 2-1 lead.

Fluid passing from back to front then allowed Sharpe to drive forward and smash a shot across goal as instructed at training for Williams to come flying under the radar unmarked and diving for a reverse deflection.

The best goal and icing on the cake came after a couple of silly yellow cards, one for James Tavernor for a soft tackle and the other captain Ben Slack for dissent to the umpire.

Arnold passed to Shorter who looked up and fired a 30 yard pass to forward Chris Clarkson straight into his stride.

With an outrageous touch Clarkson laid the ball to Williams who returned the pass after beating three players and taking the keeper out of the equation for Clarkson to finish off a sublime move and roll into an empty net.

In the battle of the Dragons, Bourne Deeping 2nds suffered a 4-0 away loss at Norwich in Division 2N as they were left to rue a host of missed chances.

A squad of 13 that included three debutants was reduced to 12 before the game and then 11 ahead of half-time as Fergal Powell limped out with a hamstring injury brought about chasing back as Norwich took the lead breaking quickly from a Bourne Deeping penalty corner.

Bourne Deeping had their chances with four penalty corners in the first half, eight in total, but none converted.

Will Cook was unlucky not to be awarded a penalty flick after beating two players in the D and being dragged down while in the process of rounding the already grounded keeper.

Norwich then added a second goal after slack marking at the back allowed a home player far too much space in the D.

A second half change of formation saw Bourne Deeping camped in the Norwich half for the majority of the period.

Sustained pressure from the away side saw prolonged periods of possession in and around the opponents 25 metre area, but yet again they failed to fashion enough clear cut chances and their misfiring short corner routine was having a day to forget.

It was in the last 10 minutes that things went from bad to worse as Norwich collected their second yellow card of the game and just moments later a green card as well, giving Bourne Deeping a minimum of two minutes with a two-man advantage.

However, a lack of composure on the ball allowed Norwich to weather the storm and emboldened by their defiance they promptly took the game to Bourne Deeping for really the first time in the half.

A crashed ball into the D was well deflected past Sarsby in the Bourne Deeping goal and then a looping shot over the keeper dropped over the head of Brewer who made a hash of his attempted overhead clearance, the ball bobbling through nicely for a far post tap in to put the gloss on a scoreline which did not reflect the away side's performance.

Man-of-the-match was right-back Joe Youngs who was excellent in both defence and attack.

Bourne Deeping 3rds made it back-to-back wins in Division 4NW after a 3-2 home success over Wisbech 3rds continued their evolvement.

They were forced to make a last minute change due to injury and came face-to-face with a contrast of style.

Wisbech were very direct with link passes and plenty of running but created little danger while the home team passed comfortably and created space and dominated possession.

The chances came and went before Wagstaff, Meadows and Parker-Humby combined with the latter opening the scoring.

Oliver Thewlas, on his debut for club, grew into his unfamiliar role at right half by creating width and space for the team.

At the back Watts and Thomas were in control as expected while Morley and Briggs impressed with assured performances.

Wisbech equalised with their first penalty corner from a great strike and the scores were level until the break.

At the restart Bourne Deeping reasserted their dominance and Carlton orchestrated from midfield with Barden having a greater influence on play.

The lead was restored through a sublime finish from Meadows following an exquisite pass from Parker-Humby.

The home team were then dealt a blow for not putting the game beyond doubt when Wisbech were awarded another penalty corner and this time the strike was unorthodox but the result the same.

The Dragons pressed for the winner and it came courtesy of a smart finish by Shane Carlton.

Bourne Deeping 4ths’ long trip to Louth in Division 5NW ended in a sound 3-0 defeat although it was not through a lack of effort.

With a few changes to the normal starting 11, they were up against it from the start against their table topping hosts.

Louth dominated possession and were camped in the Dragons half with last-ditch defending and some outstanding saves from man-of-the-match Jack Langley in goal frustrating the home team.

When the ball was cleared debutant Gosnell found himself isolated up against two good defenders.

The first goal came midway through the half and no more followed thanks to great defending and the keeper.

The second half was much the same as the Dragons held on against huge pressure.

Langley was up to nearly all thrown at him and it was an unlucky break for the second when he made another good save only for the ball to fall to an open forward two yards out .

The 4ths never gave up and some nice touches by Mountain showed promise before the third goal came from a shot just before the final whistle.

Bourne 5ths were able to build on last week’s good win with a 6-1 home victory over Alford in Division 6NW(N) on Saturday.

With a good mixture of youth and experience, especially the front five where four of the players were under 16, the Dragons were determined to move the ball quickly from the off.

They started well with a lot of early possession although, while they had the sense that a goal was never far away, the Dragons were just too impatient to score and everything was a bit frantic in front of goal.

The home side then started to settle down into more of a rhythm as a team and worked the ball well from deep through Allam in the central and made great use of Flint and Cox Jnr on the flanks through to Brittain and Wakeham up front.

Their first goal came from a great move down the right when Cox Jnr picked up the ball and ran it down the right, interchanged a great one-two with Ben Brittain who released to Cox Jnr to drive a low strike inside the keeper from the angle.

This signalled a great period of play with four goals to follow, first with a great finish from Brittain, then Allam picking up at the top of the D to slot past the keeper.

The next goal was competed in three passes, Cox Snr picking up in the Bourne Deeping half to then release to Cox Jnr down the right who drove to the by-line before firing a diagonal pass back to the top of the D where Brittain had sensibly waited to calmly put the ball in the back of net.

The fifth goal came from Flint who had worked very hard out on the left, creating some great width when he came to the left post at just the right moment to take a ball out of mid-air and send it goal bound.

Bourne Deeping were almost set to close out the first half when against the run of play Alford caught them on the back foot with a good attack which led to a good finish.

The goal, literally on the half-time whistle, seemed to play on the Bourne Deeping minds and the second half started a bit flat.

They also found themselves a bit over confident at times and on a few occasions were caught a bit too high in defence allowing Alford to make a break.

However, Joe Ashby responded well in goal and Bourne Deeping continued to probe well with more than their fair share of chances.

Having had numerous short corners during the half, Bourne Deeping finally got their act in gear.

Cox Snr continued to inject and this time Allam picked up the ball, however, on this occasion on seeing he would be closed down, released a pass back to Cox Snr in space who turned and rolling back the years, calmly flicked into the goal.

Bourne Deeping Ladies suffered a disappointing 2-0 home defeat against St Ives in Saturday’s Division 2NW clash.

Although the atrocious playing conditions affected the make-up of the team, Bourne squandered numerous opportunities.

Fantastic link play from Carol Murray, Sue Oakley and Emily Murray through the midfield opened up attacking opportunities, however, the front line failed to find the back of the net.

A breakaway effort from St Ives 20 minutes into the first half left Bourne Deeping a goal down coming into the break.

The start of the second half saw the home team pressing for an equaliser with player of the match Sophie Brittain dominating down the left side of the pitch.

A near post save by St Ives' goalkeeper following a top of the D strike from Annemarie Ash, combined with Becky Warters' disallowed goal, meant Bourne Deeping were unlucky to not make it onto the scoreboard.

A second breakaway goal late in the second half cemented the win for St Ives, however, the home side showed fantastic potential to be built on throughout the upcoming season.

Bourne Deeping Ladies 2nds made the most of a nine-player Woodhall Spa side to run out emphatic 10-0 winners in Saturday’s Division 4NW(N) clash.

The Dragons started strongly on the attack with a goal from Keeley Mooney within the first minute for her first of the season.

After failing to score from two consecutive short corners, Jen Orrell did then hit the back of the net to double the lead.

However, a quick counter attack against the run of play from the home team ended in a defensive short corner, but the strong Dragons back four defended well and kept a clean sheet.

The role of play was all in Bourne Deeping’s favour as they applied consistent pressure on Woodhall Spa’s defence throughout the first half.

This paid off with the third goal from Helena Darragh to take a comfortable 3-0 lead into the half-time break.

The second half was looking like a continuation of the mirror image from the first half as another quick early goal from Sara Morgan-Walters in prime position set the tone for the rest of the game.

The floodgates, like the weather, opened up with great linked up play from the centre midfield of Ella Henson.

These were finished off by Mooney (2), Morgan-Walters (4) and Laura Ball in her debut game for the Dragons.

Bourne Deeping Ladies 3rds were handed a 5-0 home win after opponents Louth 2nds conceded.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More