Home   Sport   Article

Injury concern makes Wakes loss worse

Abbey Lawn, Bourne - second-half action Bourne Town v St Neots Town Saints ANL-151024-185539001
Abbey Lawn, Bourne - second-half action Bourne Town v St Neots Town Saints ANL-151024-185539001

Bourne Town were beaten 3-2 away at Northampton ON Chenecks on Saturday in the UCL Division One and to make matters worse their young strike star in the making Zak Munton limped off with a knee injury.

Munton was replaced by Henry Dunn, who was making his return from a knee injury, after 40 minutes.

Wakes manager Steve Wilson said the club are waiting to find out the full extent of his injury.

He said the teenage jarred his knee caused when he clashed with an opposition player.

Dunn made a good return for Bourne and added some quality to their play however it was an opposition striker who made the telling difference in the match.

Ben Foster scored all three goals for Chenecks as he bagged a personal hat-trick to help his side avenge their early season defeat at the Abbey Lawn.

Foster opened the scoring in the 26th minute to give the hosts the lead at the break.

Wilson admitted his side could have been a couple of goals down at the midway point as they were outplayed in the first period.

The manager said: “We were poor in the first half and didn’t give a good account of ourselves.

“The boys battled well but there were a few poor performances. In the second half we gave a better account of ourselves but Northampton were always just at arms length.

“We would score and then they would score another and we just couldn’t get an equaliser.”

Foster hit his second in the 56th minute before James Zealand scored the first Bourne goal five minutes later.

The goal was created by Craig Rook who had a strong all round performance.

He played a couple of quick one-two passes down the wing and then beat a man before crossing the ball in for Zealand to take a touch and score with a nice strike.

However with a little over ten minutes to play Foster completed his hat trick to make a comeback remote.

They didn’t stop Rook getting on the scoresheet with eight minutes remaining. He got the ball in the box, took a couple of touches to find some room before squeezing his shot home.

Wilson said Rook’s performance, and the reintroduction of Dunn back into the fold gave him some positives to take from the day.

He said: “We are a relatively young side who are still learning. Sometimes I have been too critical but we are learning all the time.”

Wilson said not being able to play a settled side is part of Bourne’s problems, either with players unavailable through injury or work commitments.

He said he doesn’t think they have been able to select the same starting line-up two weeks in a row since the season kicked off.

Next up for Bourne are Bugbrooke St Michaels. He said: “Hopefully we can get back to winning ways.

“We keep trying to put a run of results together but it is not working for us at the moment. We win one, lose one, win one, lose one.”


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More