Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Ketton are beaten by Eye United in Peterborough Senior Cup clash

Ketton boss Darren Moody praised the character and desire of his players as they defied a lengthy list of those not available for Saturday's Peterborough Senior Cup clash at Eye United.

Moody had 19 players missing for the Group B match and, although his side went down to a narrow 3-2 defeat, he was proud of their efforts.

He said: "It would have been easy for the lads to have downed tools with so many players missing but they went to war and stuck at it together.

Will Chamberlain (left) hit a cracking goal for Ketton in Saturday's 3-2 loss at Eye. (46566159)
Will Chamberlain (left) hit a cracking goal for Ketton in Saturday's 3-2 loss at Eye. (46566159)

"It was the best we have played for a long while. They knuckled down because it was a game where we had to be prepared to go into battle.

"I couldn't have been more proud of the players that we got together and it's those lads who are in possession of the shirts now.

"I was quite happy for the season to end after the match against Whittlesey last week, but the character and desire of the players and the way that they stuck up for each other was there on Saturday.

"We played football the right way and the results will come because the talent and commitment was there. The lads showed that they want to be Ketton players."

Ketton - who went into the contest after suffering back-to-back defeats - fell behind in the opening 10 minutes when Eye scored after a setpiece wasn't cleared by the visitors.

The Rutlanders rallied though and got back on level terms through a well-worked team goal.

Luca Zirpolo picked out Liam Taylor who set Cameron Brookes away down the right-hand side and he squared the ball back for Will Chamberlain who curled home a sublime finish into the top corner of the home net from the edge of the box.

Brookes went close to putting Ketton ahead with another curling effort that brought a fine fingertip save out of the home keeper before the hosts regained the lead on the stroke of half-time.

A long ball over the Ketton defence was latched onto by the Eye striker who rolled his shot home with virtually the last kick of the opening period.

Ketton again responded after the break and the contest looked to be swinging in their favour when Taylor saw a goalbound shot handled on the line by a home defender who was then dismissed.

However, Brookes blazed the resultant spot kick over the bar with Taylor then going close to an equaliser with a well-hit shot that rattled the post.

The 10 men of Eye continued to stand firm though and they looked to catch Ketton on the break which produced their third goal late on as Dan Gargan raced clear to score with the visitors' appeals for offside being rejected after the referee over-ruled their assistant's flag.

There was still time for Ketton to reduce the arrears when substitute Conor White converted a Lewis Brisbourne free-kick at the back post.

However, the final whistle sounded shortly after to leave Ketton now looking towards their next group match at home to Warboys this weekend for their maiden win of the cup campaign.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More