Home   Sport   Article

Late rally sees Blackstones beat Woodford

Action from Blackstones' 2-2 draw with Potton United. Photo: Martin Davies EMN-160126-094310001
Action from Blackstones' 2-2 draw with Potton United. Photo: Martin Davies EMN-160126-094310001

Blackstones completed the double over Woodford United on Saturday with a 4-2 away victory in the UCL Division One.

For the end of January it was a welcome bright day but with a stiff wind keeping the temperature down the game kicked off with Stones kicking into the breeze.

Stones took the lead on 27 minutes, Adriano Staffieri, latching onto a measured through ball from Jones De Souza, out sprinted the retreating defender and calmly side-footed the ball pass the outstretched gloves of the home keeper.

The game rumbled on with the only notes being the referee waving a few yellow cards.

The second half was to prove more entertaining, Alex Brocklebank came on for De Souza and immediately livened thing up in the centre of goal, seven minutes later recent signing Matt Cook entered the fray replacing Sam Strange.

On 75 minutes Cook took the ball in front of goal just outside of the penalty box, managed to work a little room onto his right foot for a shot, which was blocked, but the rebound fell onto the Cooks’ left foot, which without thinking he struck sweetly into the bottom left of the home team’s net.

It appeared the game was over but the home team had not read the script, with eight minutes of normal time remaining, the home team broke down the left flank and with the Stones defence stretched and racing back to regroup, the ball was fired across the Stones box towards the home team’s striker but Stones defender Calum Parker got a foot to it first, steering it past a stranded Mark King between the sticks and into the net.

Then on 85 minutes with their tails up Woodford once more launched an attack down Stones’ flank, this time the cross found Adam Confue just off the penalty spot and he made no mistake to level the game.

From the re-start Stones went route one for the home goal, Jordan Avis worked an opportunity from 18 yards out which was blocked but his second bite of the apple was a purposeful pass to Scott Ginty who slid the ball into the net at the far post.

Stones now had control of the game with the home team in disarray in every department of the pitch and with 92 minutes on the clock a long ball was punted forward from the Stones midfield, a home team defender who was on the ground suffering from cramp only managed to head the ball back towards his corner flag. Staffieri was the fastest to react, retrieving the ball and turning back to goal, rounding the keeper for the second time and rolling the ball into an open goal, the only other players near Staffieri wore the green and black stripes.

The victory takes the Stamford side up to 13th in the UCL Division One.

On Saturday Stones welcome Buckingham Town to Lincoln Road.

Blackstones FC: Mark King, Adam Sparks, Matt Simpson, Calum Parker, Jacob Smitheringale, Matt Porter, Jordan Avis (Taral Kamara), Sam Strange (Matt Cook), Adriano Staffieri, Scott Ginty, Jones De Souza (Alex Brocklebank).


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More