Chilly stalemate as season restarts

Nick Brocklehurst returned to action for Bourne Deeping against Cambridge South
Nick Brocklehurst returned to action for Bourne Deeping against Cambridge South
Have your say

Cambridge Sth 0 Bourne Deeping 0

TWO of the top four teams in the Division 3NW played out a goalless stalemate in chilly conditions on Saturday.

Bourne Deeping started the brighter and applied a lot of pressure but Cambridge have conceded fewer goals than any other side in the division and proved difficult to break down.

When chances did come, including a reverse stick effort from captain Alex Glover, they were casually rebuffed by a confident Cambridge South keeper. BDHC had the best of the first half but the score line remained 0-0 at the break.

The second half continued in much the same way with wave after wave of Bourne Deeping attack kept out by a well-drilled defence.

Nick Brocklehurst returned to action in the second half and soon showed that he had not lost his touch after a spell sidelined with an injury.

He created arguably the best chance of the game, ghosting across the face of goal and flicking the ball towards the bottom corner, only for the keeper to impressively dive and to direct the ball around the post.

The Dragons were frustrated with a draws and will look to get back to winning ways against Wisbech Town 3rd XI tomorrow.

Bourne Deeping: Tim Beaver, Jason Purllant, Andy Briault, Peter Jeffery, John Plant, Ali Rowledge, Phil Arnold, Tommy Stopper, Chris Clarkson, Nick Glover, Alex Glover, Nick Brocklehurst, Andy Kind.

l BOURNE Deeping’s 5th XI lost 2-0 away against St Ives 5th. All other games involving BDHC teams were postponed due to frozen pitches.

Bourne Deeping Ladies 3rd XI 1

Huntingdon Ladies 1

ONLY one fixture survived the freezing weather at Market Deeping on Saturday - the friendly between Bourne Deeping Ladies 3rd and Huntingdon.

The Dragons’ Ladies 3rd XI got off to an excellent start to only their second fixture, with Eve Greenaway and Izzy Wilding dominating out wide and creating great chances for Debbie Wilding.

They continued to exert pressure on a Huntingdon defence with Mollie Porch and Hazel Williams in particular keeping Huntingdon pinned back.

However, Huntingdon struck on the break with a composed shot that wrong-footed keeper Katie Woodward and left the Dragons 1-0 down at half time.

The Dragons fought back in the second half and Izzy Oakley, who claimed the equaliser with excellent skill, firing into the bottom right of the goal.

The Dragons were soon attacking again but the Huntingdon defence held out for a draw.

Rutland 2 Gorleston 2

RUTLAND returned with a point from Great Yarmouth, where they played Gorleston in their first league fixture of 2012 on Saturday.

The hosts sat one point and one place below Rutland in the division 2N table but the Norfolk side’s new pitch was slow and bouncy – totally unsuited to Rutland’s style of play – and played into Gorleston’s hands.

While Rutland started by taking the game to Gorleston, the home side snuffed out Rutland’s forays forward. Gorleston played to their strengths and despite Rutland’s dominance took the lead through an aerial attack down the left.

Shortly afterwards Rutland conceded a short corner and a second goal.

Rutland came out stronger in the second half, with Owen Evans carving through the Gorleston defence to win a first short corner, which was despatched by Will Gwyther.

A change of tactic proved pivotal and a higher attack down the right led to Rutland’s leveller. Harrison Ginn got behind Gorleston and slipped the ball to Archie Davies to strike home as he came in from the left.

Rutland created more scoring positions and Marcus Parsons had the goal at his mercy but Rutland could not find the elusive winning strike.