Defences on top as Dragons Ladies 2nds draw

City of Peterborough ladies 4ths hockey  v Bourne Deeping 2nds EMN-160213-170851009
City of Peterborough ladies 4ths hockey v Bourne Deeping 2nds EMN-160213-170851009
Have your say

Bourne Deeping Ladies firsts beat March Town 4-0 away from home on Saturday, keeping them second in the East Women’s League Division Three North West.

After a tough loss last week, Bourne Deeping Dragons Ladies 2nds came out with a fighting spirit against Horncastle, but in the end they had to make do with a 0-0 draw. The home side where under immediate pressure from Horncastle, but it was successfully cancelled out by the well organised Bourne Deeping defence, preventing there from being any early alterations to the score line.

Even with the horrendously windy conditions the Dragons fought on, with support from midfield strengthening the Bourne Deeping defence.

An early short corner that was awarded to Horncastle was stopped on the edge of the circle by first
runner Eve Greenaway and then efficiently hit out of the area by centre back Nadine Curtis.

Bourne Deeping maintained the brilliant man marking all throughout the first half, with none of the other attempts on goal passing across the goal line.

Fantastic dives from goalkeeper Phoebe Martin saved the ball on numerous occasions, along with a goal line clearance by Issie Wilding.

After a few fantastic breaks from Rachel Lloyd in midfield the Dragons were awarded a short corner, which unfortunately missed the goal by a fraction.

The second half began with the Dragons holding much more of the ball, keeping possession well.

Bourne Deeping were able to surge forward breaking through the defence with some fantastic running on the wing from Sophie Brittan. It resulted in another shot on goal which again missed by inches.

Another long ball hit from defence was picked up by Kat Kennedy who powered through the Horncastle defence, but unfortunately hit a Dragons player’s foot in the circle. Horncastle then piled on the pressure and were awarded several more short corners, but Bourne Deeping held on tight, resulting in a well-earned goalless draw.