Here’s the latest horseracing tips from Kevan ‘The Colonel’ Minter.
Newmarket’s three-day Piper-Heidsieck July Festival and the Group One Coral-Eclipse at Sandown have had a major impact on the standings for the 2013 Cartier Racing Awards horse racings very own Oscars held at the Dorchester hotel in November. QIPCO 1,000 Guineas heroine Sky Lantern (116) is still the one to catch in the race for the Cartier Horse Of The Year Award.
* Melbourne Cup favourite Puissance De Lune was very impressive when winning at Caulfield last week and remains the 9/2 market leader with the bookmaker’s for November 5 at Flemington.
* Free Eagle has been backed this week (8/1 from 10/1) with Ladbrokes for the 2014 Investic Derby at Epsom. The other firms are 12/1.
* Richard Fahey’s speedy four-year old Baccarat is the 14/1 favourite with the sponsor’s for the £155,000 William Hill Ayr Gold Cup next month at Ayr. Amazing Maria (6/4 favourite) looks a horse to follow judged on her easy win at Goodwood on Saturday in the Group3 Prestige Stakes. Ed Dunlop’s grey has a Fillies Mile entry and on this impressive run she deserves a try.
* The Rutland-owned Jwala was a 40/1 surprice winner of the Nunthorpe Stakes at York last week for Robert Cowell beating the red hot favourite Shea Shea and Sole Power by half a lengh and a nose.
* Sir Alex Ferguson’s Magic City (13/2 favourite) landed a gamble for the Richard Hannon camp at Goodwood last Saturday in the Heritage Handicap and looks one of the most improving four-year-old of the season.
* Educate has been backed this week (14/1 from 16/1) for the Cambridgeshire at Newmarket next month.
* At Sandown today (Friday) in the 2.20, Strategical can continue Charlie Apleby’s fine run for the boys in blue.
* John Gosden’s runs his 2,000 Guineas fancy Kingman, who is 8/1 for the colt’s classic next May at Sandown on Saturday and judged on the vibes from Newmarket he will be hard to beat if turning out. He was so impressive winning on his debut on the July course early this summer and was made favourite for the Guineas straight after the race from the bookmaker’s.
* Call The Colonel on 07850 602524 for his racing service.