Huge effort earns Bourne first league win of difficult season

Bourne RFC man of the match Ewan Jones. Photo: Simon Perkins
Bourne RFC man of the match Ewan Jones. Photo: Simon Perkins
Share this article
Have your say

Bourne RUFC secured their first league win of the season with a huge 30-18 away win at Corby.

Things were looking up straight from the kick off when Ant Cooke called for the ball, caught it cleanly and made 10 metres before recycling.

Continued pressure through midfield by forwards Faversham and Hume kept the ball moving forward, until it was spun out by scrum half Thornburn. Tom Dixon made good ground and at the breakdown Corby were penalised, Dixon decided to kick and slotted over from 25m out to make it 3-0 after five minutes.

From the kick off Bourne again worked the play back to within 5m of the Corby line with good runs from Bonham and Ewan Jones,

Although under pressure, the pack were holding their own. The front row of Appleby, Powell and Wood were staying steady against larger opposition resulting in some quick ball from the scrum.

Thornburn passed to Dixon who released just before contact to Joshua Jordan-Boddey who in turn passed to Ewan Jones to run the ball in under the posts from 20m out. The try was converted to make it 10-0 after 20 minutes.

Adam Binns made his long-awaited return from the bench at this point at scrum half, Thornburn moving into the back row and Dan Bonham into the centre.

Corby kicked a penalty but Tom Dixon replied with a kick of his own to make it 13-3.

Bourne were then reduced to 14 men after an unnecessary tip tackle by Thornburn on the Corby second row led to a yellow card.

Corby should have capitalised but the defence in the back line led by Jones held firm and good pressure led to another penalty which Dixon converted just before half time to make the score 16-3 at the break.

Corby came out fired up in the second half and scored a try from a quick tap penalty from their prop, and penalty when Mark Thomas was flagged offside, to quickly bring the deficit down to just 16-13.

Bourne continued to attack and Andy Dixon was stopped just five metres out from the Corby line after a good burst.

The resulting line out was missed by Corby and Faversham pounced on the loose ball to score. Dixon converted for 23-13.

Bourne continued to dominate and after Bonham turned over at a ruck 30 metres out, Dixon came off his wing to run a further try in under the posts, which he again converted for Dixon.

Corby scored a late consolation try which was not converted, making the final score 30-18.