Lacklustre Town through in Vase

Share this article
Have your say

Grimsby 10 Stamford 11

Midlands Senior Vase

STAMFORD squeezed past Grimsby by a single point in the Midlands Senior Vase on Saturday.

They arrived in good time but during the final pre-game routine it was clear that the town side were a bit flat. This continued into the game as the visitors struggled to put phases together on a wide pitch that normally would suit the young side down to the ground.

Good carries from Frank Wiese and Bruce Parker made inroads early in the half but a lack of concentration in defence allowed Grimsby the overlap and they capitalised to score a converted try.

With a penalty apiece before the half time whistle the teams turned around 10-3 with everything still to play for.

In the lineout Stamford were flying high with John Murphy and Jake Wilkins claiming everything. Billy Williams also had a fine day both throwing and scrumaging.

Grimsby defended their own line well and kept the Stamford pack out for several phases before scrum half Laurent Ross found the smallest of gaps, engaged his leg drive and powered for the line, spinning away from Grimsby’s back row and grounding the ball for five points. The conversion was missed.

Stamford were now just two points behind and began to recycle the ball better, winning themelves a penalty within range of Matthew Albinson’s boot. He delivered the three points needed with nine minutes left to play.

Town stuck to their defensive patterns and played intelligently until the ball was kicked to touch by Laurent Ross and a relieved Stamford progress to the next round of the Midlands Senior vase.

Captain Oli Story said: “This game has given us plenty to work on in training this week and we really did make hard work of it. However, a win is a win and I am confident that things will come together very soon,when that happens we will be a very difficult team to stop.”

l STAMFORD play Northampton Casuals away tomorrow.

Stamford 2nd Xv 81 Worksop 0

STAMFORD’S 2nd XV ruthlessly put away depleted opposition on September 17.

Worksop travelled with only 12 players but despite lending them two replacements, Stamford were in no mood for charity in the match itself. Within a couple of minutes of the start strong running from Dave Bushrod led to debutant Frank Wiese scoring his first score.

Excellent handling from the Stamford backs and decisive running from centres Will Plummer and Phil Young, who ended the day with four tries, saw Stamford constantly in the Worksop half.

With the score at 33-0 after 20 minutes Stamford captain Will Plummer gave Worksop the extra man and Town continued the game with 14. This slowed the scoring rate but Stamford still ran in tries from all areas veterans Ed Flint, Dave Jarvis and Chris Mclaren combining with new players Jack Enright and Tom Kellett to put the backs in decent attacking positions.

Russ Harris and Andy Morris put almost every player, including the evergreen Tony Spice (2) in for a score.

The last ten minutes of the game saw Worksop continually pound the line but to add insult to Worksop’s day they simply could not penetrate the Stamford line.

l This week Stamford’s 2nd XV beat Lincoln 4th XV 76-5.

Tomorrow they play Bourne away to Lincoln 4ths