Stamford RUFC heavily beaten in county final

Stamford RFC beat Market Harborough to avoid relegation. Photo: Kirk Schwarz EMN-150415-154042001
Stamford RFC beat Market Harborough to avoid relegation. Photo: Kirk Schwarz EMN-150415-154042001
Have your say

Stamford RUFC’s Lincolnshire Cup final with Scunthorp always looked like a big ask for the purple, white and black army and so it proved on Bank Holiday Monday.

Scunthorpe play two leagues above Stamford in the semi-professional National Three Midlands league and they had far too much fire-power for a plucky Stamford at Sleaford Rugby Club’s David Williams Pavilion Ground, winning 80-5.

Stamford held their own in the opening stages but the Scunthorpe scrum quickly got the on top and it gave them a perfect platform to attack from. After 10 minutes Scunthorpe crossed the line through full back Colin Chapman after bossing the possession stats.

The Greens’ forwards were imposing themselves all over the park and their powerful catch and drive moves were puncturing the brave Stamford defence. On two such occasions scrum half Will Harrison darted through gaps created by his pack to score.

The Scunthorpe backs then played their captain Tom Foster into space to score the fourth of the afternoon.

But as Stamford proved with their relegation escaping run of results at the end of the season they are full of character and they were close to breaking the Greens’ defence but the higher division side held out and counter attacked to score just before the break, again through Chapman.

It was more of the same from Scunthorpe in the second half, Matt Probert touched down from a another catch and drive before Steve Johnson took a well-weighted cross field kick from Foster to extend their unassailable lead.

Despite the fact that the result looked beyond them Stamford battled on, however they were powerless to prevent the Greens scoring three quick tries through Jamie Drury, Foster and then a rather special try from Steve Johnson, started by a run from Chapman from behind his own try line.

Stamford never gave up and in they were rewarded with a consolation score for centre Chris Fletcher after a quick break, set away by scrum half Robbie Smith, cut through the Scunthorpe defence.

However the soon to be cup winners were not done yet and Ash Dibden touched down the final score of game from another cross field kick, this time by Johnson to spark the celebrations.