Town’s players revel in new roles

Stamford outside centre Laurent Ross'Photo:
Stamford outside centre Laurent Ross'Photo:
Have your say

Stamford Town 38 Brackley 5

STAMFORD were back to league action this week comfortably beating Brackley after a weekend break, which Town used travel to Amber Valley for a friendly.

The Amber Valley game allowed captain Oli Story to trial current and new players in different positions within the team and after a win against Amber Valley, selection for this weekend’s game was tough with a number of players finding themselves in new roles.

Stamford attacked Brackley from the start on Saturday with a great individual run from league debutant Dan Griffin who beat three defenders to set up a ruck on the far right hand side of the pitch. Scrum-half Mathew Albinson distributed the quick ball developed at the breakdown to the backs who’s pace and strength could not be matched by Brackley.

Phases were built and the play ended with Oli Story crashing through to score under the posts.

Trys quickly followed from Tom Lindley, who rounded his opposite number and broke through the covering tackle to score.

Frank Wiese moved from No. 8 to wing and showed his all-round ability, finishing off a backs training park move beautifully in the right hand corner.

Flanker Jack Eifion-Jones added to his ever increasing try tally, despite not feeling well, when Mathew Albinson took a quick penalty 10m from the Brackley line. Eifion-Jones came from deep to receive the pop off, broke through the initial tackle and dotted down for the five points.

Just before half-time Harry Offer finished off some flowing backs’ play with a delicate offload from centre partner Calvin Dendy-Young. Offer had a man to beat which he did, using pace and a strong left handed hand off.

Stamford defended at their best when Brackley put together some phase play. All Brackley would see was a 15-man purple, black and white Wall.

The defence line was fast and two-man hits thick and fast from Calvin Dendy-Young, Tom Lindley and Harry Offer which put pressure on the Brackley backs, ultimately ending with turnover ball.

Turnover and quick ball is something the Stamford side have thrived on in the last two seasons and the side proved this with a fantastic team try to put Dan Griffin over the line. Stamford led 33-0 at half time and with the bonus point sealed, the Stamford side became a little too relaxed in the second half with uncharacteristic dropped balls and astray passes.

However, defence was strong and it did not look like the Stamford wall would be broken until a moment of madness from the Stamford side gave away a penalty, which was kicked to the corner.

Stamford disrupted the lineout as they had done all day to avoid the driving maul; the ball was gathered by the Brackley prop who trundled his way into the corner.

Heads did not go down and sustained pressure caused the Brackley 10 to kick the ball away where it was gathered by Henry Bridge. Quick passes followed through Laurent Ross to Harry Offer who supplied the ball to Wiese who offloaded out of the tackle to Laurent Ross who rounded the Brackley No. 11. Supported by Dendy-Young and Bridge, Ross chipped to centrefield leaving a foot race for the touchdown. As both dived for the ball it was deemed South African Calvin Dendy-Young was the winner and claimed the sixth try of the day for the Stamford side.