Home   Sport   Article

Moreman sees red as Daniels lose at Workington

Want your club featured in the paper and online? Call our sportsdesk on 01780 758962 or e-mail smeditor@stamfordmercury.co.uk
Want your club featured in the paper and online? Call our sportsdesk on 01780 758962 or e-mail smeditor@stamfordmercury.co.uk

Stamford AFC earned more cards than they scored goals on Saturday and after 90 full blooded minutes of Evo-Stik NPL action away at Workington Town that cost the Daniels dear as they suffered a 2-0 defeat.

Referee John Matthews was not in a seasonal mood just five days before Christmas and handed out the first of six yellow cards in the contest, two of which were shown to Stamford’s Josh Moreman who was given his marching orders to make an already difficult task even harder.

Moreman’s first card, on Stamford’s longest journey of the league season, was earned cheaply. The striker was cut down when he drove towards goal early on; Workington’s Phil McLuckie was shown yellow for his poor tackle but the Daniels frontman was also carded for his unsportsmanlike response.

Stamford keeper Andy Stevens made the first notable save of the day stopping a weak effort from Conor Tinnion. But the home side were on top and Scott Allison’s curling shot almost broke the deadlock but Daniels defender Daniel Lawlor headed the ball off the line.

Moreman looked dangerous during his time on the pitch and he had Stamford’s best chance of the first half, going round Workington’s Jake Simpson before his cross was blocked dubiously, leading to strong shouts for a penalty but the referee waved off the claims.

After a goalless first half it took just four minutes of the second period for Workington to get the first goal of the game. Tymon converted a Simpson cross after somehow finding space in the box despite the presence of plenty of Daniels defenders.

Jorrin John, fresh from scoring his debut goal for the Stamford last weekend against Nantwich, almost gave Stamford the perfect response, forcing a great save out of Workington keeper Jonny Jamieson, after breaking clear from a quickly taken free-kick.

Shortly before the hour mark a rash challenge from Moreman on Skelton meant he left for an early shower.

Despite being a man down Stamford could have levelled the scores but Jamieson stopped Jordan Smith’s shot from a corner at full stretch before his opposite number, Stevens prevented Allison from extending the home side’s lead.

Any doubt that Workington were going to take all three points was put to bed on 65 minute when Tinnion scored a fortuitous goal. His strike partner Gareth Arnison mis-hit his shot and fell at the feet of Tinnion 15 yards out who made a much better contact with a strike that beat everyone. .

Late on Stevens stopped the scoreline being more one side with a fine save.

Workington: Jamieson, Simpson, Rowntree, Wordsworth, Calvert, Skelton, Allison, McLuckie (Wright, 75), Tymon, Arnison, Tinnion. Substitutes – Mwasile, Andrews, Newby, Salmon (not used).

Stamford: Stevens, Lawlor, Challinor (Loose, 76), Clarke, Jones, Bettles, Paratore (Shariff, 64), McGowan, Smith, Moremen, John (Mann, 85). Substitutes – Staff, Gould (not used).

Referee: Mr J Matthews, Stockton

Attendance: 407


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More