Home   Sport   Article

Cottesmore make progress in the Beacon Hill League Cup with victory at Earl Shilton

Cottesmore overcame a potential banana skin to progress in the Beacon Hill League Cup with a four-goal success over lower level Earl Shilton on Saturday.

First half goals from Tom Pope and Danny Seals set Cottesmore on their way before Andre Fontoura and Jordan Smith netted after the break against their Division One hosts.

The victory ensured Cottesmore maintained their momentum with a third successive victory as they built on last week’s fine FA Vase victory.

Danny Seals scored with a bullet header. (16357674)
Danny Seals scored with a bullet header. (16357674)

Manager Rich Giblin said: “There was always a risk that the lads would turn up in the wrong frame of mind after the highs of the FA Vase last week and put in a mediocre performance.

“We didn’t play fantastically, but we did what we had to do.

“We were very solid at the back and it also gave us a chance to give some of the lads who hadn’t played a lot of football recently a game.

“There were some good performances which has given me a bit of a headache for the weekend. It was a very professional performance.”

Cottesmore had gone in the first round clash without midfielder Harry Sabberton who was sidelined under the concussion guidelines after his injury last week.

Colton Cropper, Tom Atkins and Wilson Iron were also missing alongside the long-term injured duo of Harry Stannard and Jake Robson.

Experienced centre-back Darren Wilke was rested while there was a return on the substitutes’ bench for youngster Eathan Milne.

Cottesmore also handed a debut to new central midfield signing Korey Craig who has joined from East Midlands League side Ingles after being based at the Kendrew Army Barracks in the Rutland village.

They found themselves up against a lively Shilton side in the opening exchanges as the hosts created a couple of few chances while Fontoura went close for Cottesmore.

Andre Fontoura headed home Cottesmore's third goal. (16357672)
Andre Fontoura headed home Cottesmore's third goal. (16357672)

Pope then swung the contest in Cottesmore’s favour when he robbed the home centre-back of possession before racing clear and slotting home.

That settled Cottesmore down and they soon doubled their lead when Smith’s centre was finished off by a bullet header from Seals to give them a two-goal cushion at the break.

Shilton again started the second half strongly, but Cottesmore saw off their spirited challenge and got their third goal with 20 minutes remaining.

Adam Lomas’ cross to the back post picked out Fontoura who headed home into the bottom corner of the Shilton net.

Skipper Smith then sealed Cottesmore’s place in the second round with a fine finish into the bottom corner from a strike on the edge of the penalty area.

Cottesmore: Hotson, McJanet, Denigan, L Smith, Bendle, Craig, Fontoura, Lomas, Pope, Seals, J Smith. Subs used: Milne, Waby, Wilke.

Cottesmore's Development side bowed out of the City Goldsmiths President's Trophy after a 3-1 home loss in extra-time to Birstall Reserves on Saturday.

Jamie Hunt netted the goal for Cottesmore to take the tie into extra-time after they had trailed at the break.

However, the visitors scored twice in extra-time without reply to move into the quarter-finals of the competition.

Read more

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More