Home   Sport   Article

Town's triumph brings bonus point victory

Stamford stormed into joint second spot in Midlands 3 East (South) after a 27-7 home success over St Neots on Saturday.

The victory puts them in a strong position going into a home game with Stockwood Park this weekend before a trip to Biggleswade ahead of the Christmas break.

Head coach Matt Albinson was pleased with the overall performance but knows his charges need to keep the momentum going to gain maximum points out of the next two games.

Stamford v St Neots. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5731804)
Stamford v St Neots. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5731804)

Saturday's match was a contest which Stamford had targeted as a potential five-point game.

St Neots had been on a successful run recently but turned out to be no match for Stamford’s aggressive running and quick re-cycling style of play.

Playing uphill in the first half Stamford quickly showed control of the early exchanges .

The larger and heavier visiting pack was kept under constant pressure in testing weather conditions.

The early breakthrough came when Toby Anderson latched onto a pop pass to cross the line after the forwards had driven deep into the opposition 22 metre area. Harry Bentley added the extras with a successful conversion.

Saints fought hard to gain territory and, after they had worked their way downfield, a lack of control was snapped up by Rees Burns who broke away at pace, drew the defending player off before loading to Max Hunter to continue the attack. When he was caught Burns was still in support and able to score in the corner.

Shortly afterwards Stamford had to rearrange following an injury to Dan Griffin and, during this period, St Neots took advantage to score a converted try to make it 12-7 .

Stamford re-grouped and, using Ramsden and Heard as main ball carriers to break the visitors’ defensive line, made deep inroads into their areas but they could not turn this into points.

From one such break the home forwards set up a drive a to allow the ever-present Jack Jones to crash over and score with Bentley narrowly missed the conversion.

Other opportunities arose, especially for Gaz Ramsden who broke through tackles all afternoon but Stamford were unable to add to their score before half-time which saw Town lead 17-7.

Stamford v St Neots. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5731842)
Stamford v St Neots. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5731842)

The second half began with Stamford again applying huge forward pressure, but St Neots held them out and tried to counter attack whenever possession came their way.

This was met with a tremendous defensive line by all the home side as Saints were tackled to the ground and could find no way through.

Individual runs by Ramsden and Jones were again making yards with Daniel Heard and Michael Kendall in support and finally the defence was broken as Jones got his second try which also secured the bonus point.

From this point on Stamford looked to be in total control and came close on a couple of occasions before a driving forwards effort allowed Martin Bagnall to score on the blindside.

The game continued with Stamford on the attack and Saints defending and again it was Ramsden who crashed forward to score a much deserved try only for the referee to disallow it for not grounding the ball properly which resulted in a final score of 27-7.

Stamford: Ramsden, Durrant, B Murphy, J Murphy, Griffin, Jones, Kendall, Heard, Haley, Bentley, Hill, Anderson, Bagnall, Hunter, Burns. Subs: Ager, Johnson, MacNamara.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More