Home   Sport   Article

Birthday try for Lynch while Sam secures 17 points in victory

Bourne secured their second success of the Midlands 3 East (South) season after a 30-12 home victory over Dunstablians at Milking Nook Drove on Saturday.

Dave Maudsley’s men had seen the match as the perfect opportunity to get their season back on track despite a 74-0 beating at Daventry the previous week which had left them bottom of the table.

Having made several long away journeys to play the majority of their games so far this season, Bourne were boosted by starting with one of their strongest sides to date.

Bourne Rugby Club are pictured before Saturday's success. (5199445)
Bourne Rugby Club are pictured before Saturday's success. (5199445)

They applied early pressure on their guests from the first whistle and were quick to take possession of the ball.

Having failed to convert pressure into points in recent weeks, Bourne weren't hanging about and after some solid work from the pack the ball was shipped wide and back row Adam Binns, converted to centre for the foreseeable future, crossed untouched.

Despite being just inside the touchline scrum-half Sam Evison proved as reliable as ever as he placed the conversion straight between the uprights.

From the restart Dunstablians settled into some rhythm and, despite a solid defensive effort from their hosts, they forced their way into the Bourne half.

Bourne looked like a side desperate not to concede and threw everything they had at the oncoming attacks.

The pressure initially resulted in a number of penalties but even then Bourne continued to repel their opponents.

They eventually ran out of numbers though and Dunstablians crossed for a try of their own. With the kick going wide Bourne led by just two points.

Bourne looked like a revitalised side and, through their energetic approach, they continued to dominate the game - the hard work being put into training seemingly paying off at last.

Bourne businessmen Andrew Farmer, electrician, and Ian Green, plumber, presented the first team squad with a set of waterproof tops for warming-up in before games. They are pictured with skipper Tom Dixon. (5199447)
Bourne businessmen Andrew Farmer, electrician, and Ian Green, plumber, presented the first team squad with a set of waterproof tops for warming-up in before games. They are pictured with skipper Tom Dixon. (5199447)

The home side took control of their own line-outs and did just enough to secure their own ball at scrum-time.

Assistant coach Ian Knight, filling in for injured vice-captain Chris Greenwood, looked right at home in the front row dominating the setpieces and also looking mobile in open play.

Knight's forwards followed suit and between them they put the home side in a position to take control of the game.

Maudsley, at fly-half for consecutive weeks, clearly benefitted from the improved performance of his forwards and, with support available at every opportunity, Bourne played a far more structured game than they had in previous outings.

Alternating play between the forwards and the backs Bourne made some hard yards before camping on the Dunstablians’ try-line.

Several opportunities to score were cut short by some decent defence before full-back Josh Lynch crashed over at side of a ruck to celebrate his 21st birthday. Once again Evison added the extras to take his side to a 14-5 lead.

The Bourne backrow, led by skipper Tom Dixon, were as good as ever but it was the efforts of the tight-five in supporting this that proved to be the difference.

Second row Bradley Hiscocks put in a powerful performance alongside his counterpart Keir Moore.

Knight was supported by hooker Harry Thornburn and prop Jake Appleby, later voted joint man of the match with Dixon.

Thanks to the effort of his pack Evison was able to extend the lead further. Unable to cope with the Bourne forwards the Dunstablians pack gave away a number of penalties and Evison knocked two over in the lead up to half-time.

At 20-5 Bourne looked set to get the result they wanted but their performances in the second 40 minutes of some games has seen results slip away from them so nothing was to be taken for granted.

Chris Seggie, owner of Bourne Skip Hire, presented the club with an ice-bath in the form of a customised skip. (5199449)
Chris Seggie, owner of Bourne Skip Hire, presented the club with an ice-bath in the form of a customised skip. (5199449)

Bourne were against the conditions in the second half and also appeared to be on the wrong side of the referee during the opening 10 minutes of the second half.

Dunstablians enjoyed the lion's share of possession and territory, but Bourne were resolute in their defence and worked tirelessly at keeping their guests the right side of the try line.

After a period of sustained pressure the visitors finished some simple rugby with their second try. Just yards wide of the upright the conversion was added with ease.

Bourne weren't phased by conceding another try and it was clear, as they restarted, that they were in a position to see out the game despite there being 30 minutes left on the clock.

Bourne looked the more disciplined side for the bulk of the second half and they quickly reverted to their structured style of the first half.

The forwards led the side with some dynamic running and offloading before giving their backs a fantastic platform by recycling the ball over a number of breakdowns.

Having waited patiently for several phases the Bourne backs were in a position to then attack wide or once again make use of their forwards, a luxury that has been missing this season.

Evison added another penalty to stretch the lead once again as the game swung from end-to-end in the final quarter.

Despite some real endeavour from the away side they never looked like getting on equal terms with their hosts.

Frustrations boiled over in the dying minutes and both hookers were yellow carded for fighting although neither appeared to actually throw any punches.

The icing on the cake for Bourne came with the final try of the day.

Maudsley ran a simple move across his backline before delivering the ball to Lynch who made several metres, attracting a number of the opposition backline as he did, before he then fed Binns who had tracked on his inside.

Binns threw a dummy before outpacing the remaining defence to do down under the sticks for his second try of the day. Evison added the conversion, taking his personal tally to 17 points for the day, to seal the success.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More