Home   Sport   Article

Game management proves crucial in Town's triumph

Stamford secured a firm grip on second spot in Midlands 3 East (South) after a 24-5 away victory at Biggleswade on Saturday.

It was a fifth successive league win for Town who took advantage of promotion rivals Leicester Forest suffering a surprise 22-5 away loss at Stockwood Park.

Coach Matt Albinson made a couple of enforced changes to the side and they knew that weather conditions would have a major influence on the game.

Stamford secured their grip on second spot with victory at Biggleswade on Saturday. (6030947)
Stamford secured their grip on second spot with victory at Biggleswade on Saturday. (6030947)

Stamford started with the wind advantage but used well controlled handling to make the early gains - these were the tactics for the whole game as any kicking was shown to be dominated by the weather.

The forwards soon put themselves in a great position to drive over the line and allow Sam Hillary to score.

The home side tried to respond but their poor control and wayward passing proved to be their downfall on numerous occasions.

From one such error Town pounced on the loose ball and produced a sweeping move covering the length of the pitch and scrum half Robbie Smith glided over for the second score.

From the restart Stamford’s counter-attacking gave Biggleswade no openings and Bagnall led another long range attack which the forwards continued and it was Smith again who crossed for his second try which was successfully converted by Bentley.

Stamford led 17-0 at half-time but knew the home side would have the advantage of the wind in the second half.

Biggleswade tried to put together some attacking moves but, as in recent weeks, Stamford’s tackling was immense, restricting the hosts to a few individual runs that they were unable to support or continue.

Town hit back with some tremendous driving mauls with Ramsden and Jones again leading the way and, from a drive of more than 20 metres, the ball was finally grounded by Hillary for his second try and again Bentley added the extra two points.

The weather had now deteriorated even further and the game became scrappy as Biggleswade managed to score a late try.

But strong tackling led by Jones and Kendall restricted them to only one score to the delight of Stamford president Neil Jolly.

He said: “I was especially pleased with the way the team used controlled tactics, using the forwards power to drive and maul at the right time and kicking for position when the weather allowed.

“Our game management has become a strong part of the team’s performance.”

Stamford will now take a break for the festive period, but preparations will begin soon for the next match at home against local rivals Bourne on January 5.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More