Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Uppingham Town triumph on penalties against Peterborough North End in the Senior Cup semi-final

Uppingham Town booked their place in the final of the Peterborough Senior Cup after a second successive penalty shoot-out victory at the weekend.

Town triumphed 5-4 as the spot kicks went to sudden death to defeat Peterborough North End in Saturday's semi-final clash.

The match had ended all square at 2-2 after 90 minutes with Town following up last weekend's shoot-out success over Stamford Bels with another victory on penalties.

Rob Montgomery netted twice for Town. (48003407)
Rob Montgomery netted twice for Town. (48003407)

Uppingham had actually conceded an injury-time penalty which North End netted to force the shoot-out where the Peterborough side twice had the opportunity to win the match only to miss out on the chance to meet Wittering Premiair in the final.

Town boss Paul Sheehan said: "It was a tough game and North End are a good side, but we worked so hard against them.

"We were probably a bit more defensive than normal as we had some key players missing but, when we have got everyone available, we are more of a threat.

"We tried to hurt them when we could, but we had to match them and make sure we were hard to beat.

"All the lads did really well and I thought that with our work-rate in the second half we deserved to win the game because we had defended really well which was pleasing."

Town welcomed back Robbie Pearce and Cameron Cleaver on Saturday after the duo had missed the quarter-final the previous weekend.

However, they were still without Ben Easson and Rob Forster with teenager Olly Lewin - who has impressed this season - also absent.

They started brightly and were rewarded for their early enterprise by taking the lead inside the opening 10 minutes.

Callum O'Berg - who had a fine game for Town - beat his full-back and crossed for Rob Montgomery to side-foot home the opening goal.

Fin Bishop fired home in the shoot-out. (48003399)
Fin Bishop fired home in the shoot-out. (48003399)

North End grew into the contest more as the half wore on and created a couple of openings before levelling on the half-hour mark.

Town twice failed to clear their lines when the ball came into their box and an unmarked home player netted the equaliser.

They responded well though and had regained the lead within five minutes when Martin Turiccki's long throw into the box was met by the head of Montgomery.

Although the North End goalkeeper produced a fine save from the initial effort, the Town marksman reacted first to fire home the rebound.

North End then thought they had levelled again on the stroke of half-time when a header was destined for the top corner of the Uppingham net only for Town goalkeeper Tom Hubbard to produce a brilliant save and ensure his side went into the break ahead.

Defences dominated for much of the second period with clear-cut chances being at a premium for both sides.

As the contest wore on, Town started to sit deeper as North End upped the ante in search of a leveller.

Uppingham though managed to break away with three minutes remaining and, as Cleaver chased a Montgomery flick-on, the home defender slipped to allow the Town man a clear run at goal but he fired his effort over the bar.

North End made the most of the let-off and in the third minute of injury-time Dan Fountain went over in the Uppingham box and the hosts were awarded a penalty which was converted to take the tie into a shoot-out.

Goalkeeper Tom Hubbard was Town's shoot-out star. (48003394)
Goalkeeper Tom Hubbard was Town's shoot-out star. (48003394)

Both sides scored their first three penalties with Harry Bains, Montgomery and O'Berg successful for Town.

Josh Porter then missed for Uppingham before North End were successful with their next fourth spot kick.

Fin Bishop brought Town level before last week's shoot-out hero Hubbard made a superb save from North End's final penalty to deny them victory and take the tie to sudden death.

Will Thomas then saw his effort for Town saved but North End were unable to capitalise as they sent what would have been their clinching spot kick wide.

Cleaver put Town back in control by converting his spot kick before Hubbard excelled again to save Martyn Fox's penalty and send Uppingham through to the final.

They will now face Wittering on Saturday, June 19, at the Nene Valley Community Centre in Peterborough with a 5.45pm kick-off.

Boss Sheehan added: "We are pleased to have got through and the lads have done well.

"We played well and looked a threat in the group stages while we have brought players through to help us in the last couple of games.

"The likes of Noah Oliver - who has just turned 18 and only started playing men's football in October - have learned so much from it.

"It's been a different environment from what they are used to but Noah and Olly Lewin, as well as Harry Bains, have been really good for us."

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More