Home   Sport   Article

Stamford strike-force draw a blank in defeat to Witton Albion

Stamford AFC battle with Skelmersdale United in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League. Photo: Geoff Atton EMN-141027-090631001
Stamford AFC battle with Skelmersdale United in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League. Photo: Geoff Atton EMN-141027-090631001

Stamford AFC were undone by a pair of goals from Jamie Rainford who helped Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division strugglers Witton Albion to a 3-0 victory on Saturday at Wincham Park.

With top goal-scorer Ryan Robbins unavailable due a broken ankle the Daniels were bolstered by new recruits Maxence Loose and Jorrin John, along with Josh Moreman who is on loan from Kettering Town, for the 113 mile trip to Witton but they couldn’t provide the fire power needed to earn an away victory.

In fact in was a bad day at the office for the Stamford strike-force whose shooting was wayward in front of goal.

That said Stamford started the match brightly and Moreman tested Witton goalkeeper Dean Porter with a shot, but it lacked the power to cause any real threat.

But Witton took the lead in the 28th minute when they scored from the home side’s first shot on target. Danny Andrews tucked the ball away after getting on the end of a powerful low cross from Jon Dawson.

Albion started the day in the relegation zone but the goal gave them confidence.

Stamford keeper Andy Stevens was called into action to block a shot from Rainford and the Daniels were fortunate Zac Corbett was not sharper when he shot over from the resulting corner.

Six minutes before the break Witton extended the lead through Rainford. The striker took down a free-kick from Anthony Gardner and managed to find the bottom corner with his shot.

Again Stamford started well after the break and should have notched a goal back but debutant Jorrin John struck his shot well wide of the mark after he had been put in by Jordan Smith.

Moreman then spun to lose his marker and managed to get an effort on target but again the weak shot was dealt with by Porter.

Witton threaten again and Stevens just managed to saved at the feet of Rainford when he tried to dribble around the Daniels keeper.

Tom McGowan did finally beat Porter when the keeper failed to deal with a cross but his effort was cleared off the line by Ben Harrison, who was just in the right place at the right time.

In the 84th minute Rainford added some gloss to the scoreline, muscling Daniels substitute Lewis Jackson off the ball in the penalty area to score.

Stamford (4-5-1): Stevens (GK), Clarke, Carr, Bettles (Challinor 62), Jellyman (Jackson 76), Moreman, McGowan, Lawlor, Shariff, John, Jordan Smith.

Subs not used Staff, Gould

Witton (3-5-2): Porter (GK), Barnes, Harrison, John Shaw, Gardner, Joe Shaw, Corbett, Andrews, Dawson (Gibson 86), Henders (Clark 79), Titchiner (Rainford 26) S

ubs not used Swift (GK)

Referee Andrew Cawtherley

Attendance 307


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More