Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Deeping Rangers defeat Newark FC in a penalty shoot-out in the FA Vase

More news, no ads


Goalkeeper Dan Swan was the penalty shoot-out hero after saving three spot kicks as Deeping Rangers made FA Vase progress on Friday night.

Swan's triple stop helped the Clarets triumph 3-1 on penalties after the first round tie with Newark FC had finished 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes.

Newark had sent the tie to penalties with an 85th minute equaliser from the penalty spot after Deeping had taken the lead in bizarre circumstances.

Dan Swan (52599528)
Dan Swan (52599528)

The Clarets had a corner that was half-cleared to the edge of the box and then scrambled to near the penalty spot where a Newark player, thinking a foul had been given their way, picked the ball up in the area leaving the referee with no alternative but to award a spot kick.

Robbie Ellis saw his penalty saved by home goalkeeper Jack Steggles before netting the rebound to give Deeping a second half advantage until Newark's late leveller.

Clarets boss Daniel French said: "We had actually played really well again and their penalty was a bit of a killer.

"The first half was pretty even but we definitely had the better chances and we stood up to what they had.

"We were much the better of the two sides in the second half and should probably have scored three or four before we got the first goal.

"When we scored, I just didn't see them coming back into it. They were never going to break us down and score so it was a bit gutting to go to penalties over the 90 minutes because we deserved to win it.

"Swanny was immense in the shoot-out though and was really good. Their first penalty taker had scored against us in the league and then in this match so it was nice for him to out-wit him and set the tone.

"It was a really good win and nice for us to get a bit of revenge after what had happened in the league game when they beat us.

"We've now gone away to Sleaford, Heanor, Long Eaton and Newark who are all big physical sides and we've really stood up to them. It shows that we've changed and turned it around."

Ta'i Williams and Ellis on two occasions had gone close to breaking the deadlock in the first period before Jake Showler was thwarted by a fine save from Steggles after the break.

After the two penalty incidents had levelled the contest, Ellis went close in injury-time to snatching a winner before the shoot-out loomed.

Jack Bloodworth, Ellis and Matt Carter were all successful from the spot for Deeping while Swan saved the penalties from Danny Meadows, Dec O'Hare and Josh Stevenson.

Kyle Dixon did manage to beat the Deeping goalkeeper but, despite Charlie Coulson missing the second Clarets penalty, they went through to the second round where they will face an away trip to Walsall Wood.

Deeping: Swan, Flack, Smith, Burton-Jones, Hunnings, Banister, De Sousa (Carter), Ellis, Williams (Coulson), Wilson, Showler (Bloodworth).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More