Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Wittering Premiair defeat Whittlesey Athletic Reserves in the Peterborough Senior Cup

Wittering Premiair pocketed a third successive Peterborough Senior Cup victory to remain top of Group B.

They defeated a strong Whittlesey Athletic Reserve side 4-1 with Andrew Moss, Grant Tippett, Lee Croft and Jamie Mcfee the marksmen for the Harriers.

Whittlesey came into the game having recorded back-to-back victories against Premier Division sides while Harriers were hit by three late withdrawals which forced a change in formation and call-up for Ryan Alban from the reserves.

Lee Croft (right) scored one and set up two in the victory over Whittlesey Reserves. (46677871)
Lee Croft (right) scored one and set up two in the victory over Whittlesey Reserves. (46677871)

On a difficult pitch, both teams struggled to get the ball down and play as few chances were created by either side.

The first real opening came from a Si Farrow free kick which found the head of goal machine Croft who nodded home to give Wittering the lead.

The hosts now started to get the ball on the ground and play some good football and five minutes later a long throw found Luke Smith's head to flick on leaving Mcfee with the easy job at the back stick to shin home the ball for his first goal in Harriers colours.

Whittlesey grew into the game by playing long balls over the top to try and catch Wittering's back four out.

Having dealt well with the first few, they were then caught short only for goalkeeper Paul Greenhalgh to pull off an incredible save.

However, five minutes from half-time another ball over the top caught the back four out and this time returning player Dean Giglio rounded the keeper and slotted home.

The game was wide open in the second half and the next goal was always important.

It went Wittering's way as a delightful clip from Croft found his strike partner Moss who ran through and powered the ball home with a fine effort to put Harriers 3-1 up.

Croft then slid another delightful pass through to Tippett who again powered a finish low into the corner to put Wittering in full control.

Grant Tippett netted Wittering Premiair's fourth goal on Saturday. (46677869)
Grant Tippett netted Wittering Premiair's fourth goal on Saturday. (46677869)

Greenhalgh was called into action again to make another fantastic save to secure a scrappy but deserved win for Wittering.

Manager Sam Cayley said: "We have had a few tough battles against Whittlesey over the years and we expected no less in this game.

"The boys knew they were in for a test and we drilled this into them from the start. We were forced to change personnel and also formation which showed for the first 15 or 20 minutes as we looked a little lost .

"We then played some okay football and opened the deadlock, but we switched off from a throw-in which led to the goal that Whittlesey took well.

"Paul made a massive save at 2-1 which kept us in front going into the break. Overall I think we edged the game and deserved it. It wasn't a pretty one but it's another three points at home.

"With a few people out injured and having work commitments, we as a team were stretched, however, the boys who came in did well which shows that we are more than just an 11 which we have been In previous seasons.

"We now have another tough game against Cardea from the Premier Division on Saturday which the boys won't be taking lightly."

Wittering Premiair A secured their first win in Group B of the Peterborough Junior Cup after a 2-0 home success over Stilton Reserves thanks to goals from Sam Eaton and Saul Polden.

The Harriers' reserve side were edged out 2-1 in their Group C clash at Hampton. Nico Agius scored their goal.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More