Home   Sport   Article

Uppingham Town stay four points clear at the top of the Peterborough League Premier Division after victory at Parson Drove

Uppingham Town enhanced their credentials by toppling one of the Peterborough League Premier Division big guns on Saturday.

They ran out 3-2 winners at much-fancied Parson Drove to maintain their four-point advantage at the top of the table.

Newly-promoted Town had suffered heavy defeats this season in previous meetings with two of the league's leading lights - Peterborough North End Sports and Thorney.

Rob Forster scored twice. (18780919)
Rob Forster scored twice. (18780919)

And they had to overcome the loss of goalkeeper Tom Hubbard to secure victory on Saturday as he was forced off on the hour mark with severe concussion and a broken nose after being caught as he came to claim a cross.

Manager Ryan Hunnings commented: "We took the lead early on which was the worst thing that could have happened.

"We sat back and let them attack us. It was as poor as we have played in a long time and we didn't meet the standards we had set ourselves.

"They got a bit of a telling off at half-time which gave them their focus back and the lads were fired up for the second half.

"We lost Tom for the second successive game, but thankfully we had Jamie Binley in the squad for the first time this season and he took over having played in goal before.

"The lads defended very well and Jamie made some important saves so it was a really good win, especially after losing Tom again."

Town had taken a fifth minute lead when Rob Forster burst clear and rounded the goalkeeper before slotting home.

But Town failed to build on the early advantage and Parson Drove equalised 10 minutes before the break as Uppingham sat off and were exposed by a crossfield ball which was latched onto and rifled home.

James Howe was successful from the penalty spot. (18780924)
James Howe was successful from the penalty spot. (18780924)

They needed just five minutes of the second half though to regain their advantage as a well-worked move instigated by Corey Wildman found an unmarked Forster in the box and he netted his 10th goal of the season.

Town then suffered the setback of losing goalkeeper Hubbard for the second successive game, this time to injury following his sending off in the Leicestershire Senior Cup clash at Kirby Muxloe last week.

But five minutes later they increased their advantage when Forster was fouled on the edge of the box.

Will Thomas took a quick free-kick and Forster was this time hacked down in the box by an horrific challenge and James Howe stepped up to convert the resultant spot kick.

The third goal gave Town some breathing space and Drove didn't reduce the arrears again until the last action of the game when they scored from a free-kick.

Hunnings added: "We had a bit of makeshift side out with the back three of Jamie Binley, Charlie Dalby and Billy Henshaw playing together for the first time.

"But the lads who came up from the reserves did well which is good for the club. We want to be encouraging reserve players to push through and compete for a first team place."

Town are back in action at Tods Piece on Saturday when they entertain fifth-placed Netherton United.

Read more

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More