Home   Sport   Article

Uppingham Town triumph at Tydd to extend advantage to four points at top of Peterborough League Premier Division table

Three goals in the final 15 minutes helped Uppingham Town open up a four-point advantage at the top of the Peterborough League Premier Division table following Saturday's triumph at Tydd.

Josh Porter, Rob Forster and Harry Bains bagged the crucial goals to secure a seventh success of the season for Town who have kept back-to-back clean sheets following Saturday's victory.

They had to contend with a fierce wind on the outside pitch at Wisbech Town's Fenland Stadium with all three goals coming when they faced the elements.

Uppingham manager Ryan Hunnings. (18114937)
Uppingham manager Ryan Hunnings. (18114937)

Manager Ryan Hunnings commented: "It was a good result and, considering the conditions, we would have snapped your hand off to take a 3-0 win before the game.

"We never play well with the wind behind us. We're not a long ball team so playing against the wind allows it to hold up so we can get it down on the floor.

"Tydd were really excited to get to half-time at 0-0, but we hadn't really clicked.

"The first goal really relaxed us and it could probably have been any score after that."

Town's best opening of the first half had come inside the opening seconds but they fired over when well placed.

And that was the common theme for the opening period as they failed to hit the target despite carving out some decent opportunities.

Town again created the better chances after the break with top scorer Forster firing wide when through in a one-on-one.

They finally found the breakthrough with 15 minutes remaining when Corey Wildman won a chase for the ball down the left wing with the Tydd goalkeeper.

Wildman rounded the advancing goalkeeper before crossing the ball for Porter, who had surged forward from centre-half, to apply a composed finish.

Josh Porter's goal gave Uppingham to lead at Tydd. (18114941)
Josh Porter's goal gave Uppingham to lead at Tydd. (18114941)

They then doubled their lead shortly after when Forster raced clear and went round the goalkeeper before slotting home.

The Town frontman then had another effort contensciously disallowed after appearing to time his run from deep when Martin Turiccki had been in the offside position.

The offside flag also denied Uppingham a penalty which had been awarded only for the referee to bring play back following the earlier infringement.

They did seal their success with a third goal late on though as Bains won a crucial tackle before clipping his shot over the keeper from 25 yards to cap a fine personal performance as Town took advantage of second-placed Thorney being held to a 4-4 home draw by Peterborough Polonia.

Hunnings added: "We're enjoying our football and it's nice to be looking down at the rest of the league, but we're not getting carried away and are just taking it one game at a time."

Town are in Leicestershire Senior Cup action on Tuesday night when they travel to Midland League side Kirby Muxloe who recently knocked Oakham out of the FA Vase in extra-time.

Hunnings continued: "The pressure is off us and we can go out and enjoy playing at a step six ground."

Read more

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More