Home   Sport   Article

Unlucky Dragons Men’s 1sts beaten

Hockey action from Bourne Deeping Dragons 1sts v Bishop Stortford at AMVC EMN-160901-192528009
Hockey action from Bourne Deeping Dragons 1sts v Bishop Stortford at AMVC EMN-160901-192528009

Bourne Deeping Men’s 1sts were beaten 3-0 away at West Herts 2nds on Saturday.

Bourne Deeping took the long journey down to Watford with what was a very promising squad. Nerves were apparent as everyone knew this was an important game for both teams.

Both teams started well with equal share of possession and attacking chances. West Herts were the first to test the Dragons’ defence with a short corner. The Dragons defence dealt with this and started to gain more confidence.

They took control of the game, attacking down both wings, with Ben Slack and Andrew Kind overlapping well.

Bourne Deeping opened up West Herts and soon had their first short corner, unfortunately it broke down , but with more attacking play a bobbling cross to the back post beat the defenders and the goalkeeper and fell to James Sharpe who was unable to guide it into the goal.

Half way through the first half West Herts won another short corner. The same routine as the first, Phil Arnold was straight off the line and closed down the shot well but unfortunately a deflection off his stick saw the ball find the back of the Dragons’ goal.

Not to be disheartened the Dragons kept on fighting and had another attack which saw another open goal missed.

Into the second half the Dragons were controlling the tempo of the game and causing the opposition defence problems which was very noticeable from the growing frustration from the Herts centre back. The Dragons success was coming from good play in the middle of the park from Andy Williams and Matt Sutterby, initiating and creating chances.

But a dubious decision from the umpire, which later was admitted to be wrong, went against the Dragons again.

Against the run of play West Herts managed to win another short corner which took another lucky deflection to squeeze past the Dragons keeper.

Bourne Deeping still rallied together and had some more short corners which they were unable to upgrade. After a final hard push to try to get something from the game, leaving their defence slightly open, Ben Slack had the ball stolen from him on the right wing and Herts managed to find their third goal.

Disheartened but determined, the Dragons will carry on fighting to next week against a strong Wapping side.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More