Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Uppingham Town draw with Netherton United in the Peterborough League Premier Division

More news, no ads


Uppingham Town maintained their unbeaten run in the Peterborough League Premier Division despite conceding goals at critical times in Saturday’s clash with Netherton United.

Town twice took the lead but their Peterborough hosts hit back on both occasions with late goals in each half to secure a share of the spoils.

Uppingham boss Paul Sheehan, although disappointed at the timing of the goals his side conceded, felt a draw was a fair result on the balance of the game.

He said: “I thought Netherton were a good side and they passed the ball really well like they always have done.

“They will do well this season and we matched them. A draw was a fair result overall.”

Town - who were already without the injured Robbie Pearce - were further hit by the Saturday morning withdrawal of Callum O’Berg due to illness.

A lightning fast start by both teams saw Town goalkeeper Tom Hubbard make an excellent early save in the opening 90 seconds.

Uppingham then responded as Rob Forster cut out a pass as Netherton tried to play out from the back. He rounded the goalkeeper but the hosts recovered to clear his shot off the line.

Martin Turiccki then headed just wide from a Forster cross before Town broke the deadlock midway through the first half.

Turiccki played the ball out wide to Forster who went past his full-back before crossing to the back post where Josh Sennett side-footed home for his first senior goal for the club.

Netherton rallied and had their best spell of the half but it took them until the 43rd minute to find a leveller.

Town missed a couple of chances to clear their lines and the ball dropped to Mark Baines who skipped past a challenge before firing home into the bottom corner of the net from just outside the box.

Uppingham then lost possession from kick-off and Netherton burst forward before shooting only to be denied by an unbelievable save from Town goalkeeper Hubbard.

The visitors slightly regained the upper hand again after the break and Sennett sent over a cross early on which Forster turned narrowly wide.

Netherton then hit the crossbar with an inswinging corner which bounced down and it needed a goalline clearance from Josh Porter to prevent the hosts from scoring.

Hubbard made another good save as a free-kick was floated in and headed towards the bottom corner but the Town custodian tipped it to safety.

Sennett then saw his corner clip the home crossbar before his next setpiece created the opening for Town to lead again as his delivery ricocheted off Turiccki and Forster side-footed home from close range.

Town looked in control of the game as they threatened on the break with Netherton pushing forward in search of an equaliser.

Turiccki broke clear but, with just the keeper to beat, squared a pass to Forster and Netherton’s defence recovered to block.

The hosts then netted a late leveller as Hubbard misjudged a long clearance from his oppostite number and Louie Venni pounced to tie the contest again.

Sheehan added: “We probably should have gone in 1-0 up at half-time but we were also lucky that we weren’t 2-1 down from pretty much our own doing.

“It would have been a big win if we had held out at the end but it was a good game and they are a good bunch of lads.

“It was just a crucial couple of moments where we didn’t see the game out but it is something we can learn from.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More