Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Round-up of the weekend action from Uppingham Town Football Club

More news, no ads


Victory in their first match for five weeks and the award of a win from a postponed game has seen Uppingham Town open up a five-point advantage at the top of the Peterborough League Premier Division table.

Town triumphed 5-1 at the weekend in their first match since December 11 when they defeated Crowland Town at Tods Piece.

And Paul Sheehan's side then collected another three points on Monday night when they were awarded the win following the postponement of last month's scheduled fixure against Stamford Lions.

Josh Sennett scored twice agianst Crowland. (54376491)
Josh Sennett scored twice agianst Crowland. (54376491)

It now leaves Uppingham in a healthy position with just six league matches remaining ahead of this weekend's tricky trip to Wittering Premiair.

Town had gone into Saturday's match looking to avenge their only league loss of the season against a Crowland side who had been 3-1 winners in the reverse fixtures.

And they started brightly with Jordan Neil seeing an effort well saved from a tight angle before a fine pass from Will Lewin set Rob Forster free and he fired a shot against the post.

Town then broke the deadlock midway through the first half when a deep free-kick was met by Lewin who looped his header into the net.

However, Uppingham's lead lasted just 60 seconds as they sliced a clearance from a free-kick that was crossed back into the box for Matt Smith to tap home.

Town again responded and Robbie Pearce saw a shot from the edge of the box well saved before Cam Cleaver rattled the crossbar with a header on the stroke of half-time.

The hosts then upped their game after the break and had regained the lead within five minutes of the restart.

Josh Sennett sent a free-kick to the back post which was headed back across goal by Josh Porter for Cleaver to tap home his first goal of the season.

The lead was then increased further five minutes later when Martin Turiccki was hauled down following a corner and Sennett scored the resultant spot kick.

Forster hit the post for a second time with a free-kick before Town extended their advantage with a fourth goal.

A rapid break saw Callum O'Berg race down the right before releasing Turiccki who, one-on-one with the keeper, unselfishly squared the ball for Sennett to steer home his second goal of the game.

The scoring was completed when Forster beat two players before setting O'Berg free and he finished with aplomb to cap a cracking second half display from the table-toppers.

Boss Sheehan said: "We had trained four times in January and, although it's not the same as playing games, there's been a good turn-out and the players have been working hard because they know what's at stake.

"Crowland have been doing quite well and had a good win the week before so we were a little concerned going into it about our match sharpness.

"But we pretty much controlled most of the game and looked good over the 90 minutes which was pleasing.

"Our second half performance was really good and it was pleasing to get goals from over areas of the team as well.

"There's still a long way to go but, if we can keep chalking the games off, then we'll see where that takes us."

Uppingham Town Reserves continued a double-winning Saturday for the club as they continued their impressive form with a 6-1 victory away to Orton Rangers in their Division Four match.

Despite being without their two strikers - Sam Blackwell and Omar Elkashoty - as well as winger Ben Dickinson they went full of confidence following their 9-2 victory at Warboys Reserves in the previous match.

Despite the boggy conditions, Uppingham started well with Lewis Fountain - who has returned after a period out - breaking the deadlock on the 20th minute with a composed low finish.

Jack Godfrey doubled the lead minutes later with a superb top corner finish from 20 yards out which lobbed the Orton keeper.

Jack Salt then made it three just before half-time with a powerful header following a Dean Willis corner.

The second half started much the same with Town dominating possession and displaying some great passing football.

Fountain made it four with a great first-time hit following a superb assist from Louie Miles which cut through the Orton back line.

He then secured his hat-trick with quite possibly the goal of the season where he skipped past five Orton players before a brilliant composed finish.

Josh Bryan made it six with an audacious finish after rounding the Orton keeper before the hosts got a late consolation goal with a good free kick that Liam Geddis couldn't keep out.

Town's reserve boss Joe Harley said: "I was absolutely delighted with how the lads played again, especially with a number of key players missing.

"I changed our formation back in October and since doing this we have only lost once in the last eight matches – scoring 34 goals in the process.

"Most importantly the lads are all loving their football and, with the firsts dominating the Premier Division, there's a real buzz about the club."

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More