Home   Sport   Article

Oakham United suffer heavy away defeat at Holbeach United Reserves in the Peterborough League Premier Division

Joint Oakham United boss Stewart Lambie branded his side's performance as their worst of the season as they were humbled by Holbeach United Reserves on Saturday.

The Rutlanders crashed to a 5-0 away reversal in the Peterborough League Premier Division clash on a day which went from bad to worse for Oakham.

They had three players pull out on the morning of the game and then player-manager Lambie was forced to play the final 15 minutes of the match in goal following the sending off of Connor Barker.

Oakham goalkeeper Connor Barker (17430948)
Oakham goalkeeper Connor Barker (17430948)

Lambie said: "The day didn't start very well and just got worse.

"We had three players drop out and also had two others who only made it minutes before kick-off due to work commitments which doesn't help with preparations and the warm-up.

"It's very frustrating because we seem to play well one week and then just drop off again the next Saturday. There's no consistency.

"I don't know if it's complacency in that we think it's going to be easy just because we've played well the week before.

"But this was our worst performance of the season. It was a very bad day."

Oakham were on the back foot from the start of the clash at Carters Park and could easily have found themselves out of the contest inside the opening 15 minutes.

A young and lively home side spurned several good chances as Oakham struggled to retain possession while not working hard enough to regain control of the ball.

The Tigers eventually hit the front five minutes before half-time when Michael Bailey latched onto a ball over the top and, although Barker made a good save from his initial effort, he was powerless to keep out the rebound.

Oakham changed their shape at the break but, after conceding the second goal to Jordan Keeble, their heads went down with James North seeing a close range effort blocked by the home keeper.

Barker was then sent off with 15 minutes remaining after handling the ball outside the box after Keeble had again broken clear.

Lambie was beaten from the resultant free-kick from Tom Coote with an own goal from Sam Munton then adding to Oakham's misery late on as Holbeach hit their fifth.

Oakham are without a match on Saturday before travelling to United Counties League Division One side Saffron Dynamo next Tuesday night in the Leicestershire Senior Cup.

Read more

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More