Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Stamford Rugby Club are beaten by Long Buckby in their last league match of the season

More news, no ads


Stamford concluded their Midlands 2 East (South) season with a 24-32 home reversal against Long Buckby on Saturday.

The defeat means Stamford will finish in ninth place in the 12-team division following their promotion last season.

They had a whole list of regular players unavailable on Saturday so it was an opportunity for some younger players to show what they could offer.

Stamford started well, moving the ball and bringing all players into the game but they couldn’t turn possession into points and it was Long Buckby who opened the scoring with a breakaway converted try.

Town came back at them and this time, when Tom Wire crashed his way through three tacklers, Ben Chisholm was in support to cross for a try which Harry Bentley converted to level the score.

From the restart it was Wire again who used his power to break through and he put a clever kick into space for Dave Martin to collect and score wide out.

Stamford were starting to look composed but playing against the wind made clearing kicks difficult and the visitors’ number eight started a good move which saw the Northamptonshire side go over for a try to level the scores.

Neither side was really able to dominate the game and again it was Stamford’s turn to open up Buckby’s defence to give Martin a clear run in for a try which Bentley added the conversion.

With the game heading towards half-time, a Stamford error and some poor tackling let the visitors in for a converted try to make the score at the interval level at 19-19.

The second half saw Stamford have the wind in their favour but they didn’t make much use of it to their advantage and it was Long Buckby who fought their way downfield and from a line-out they put together a drive to score their fourth and bonus point try.

This seemed to lift them and from the restart they came straight back through the home defence to score again which took the score on to 19-29.

Town went back to their driving plan with Wire and Schwartz prominent but overcooked some kicks with the wind which lost them ground .

They did manage to work the ball out on the narrow side and went deep into Buckby’s 22 where they won a line-out and drove over the line for Freddy Durrant to touch down which gave them a four try bonus point and at 24 -29 a losing bonus point going into the closing stages.

Despite some all out attacking efforts they were unable to build on this and, with the last action of the match, conceded a penalty to deny the losing point and the game closed at 24-32.

Credit must go to young players Calum Robertson and George Howard who showed great promise for the future.

Stamford’s final game of the season will be the Lincolnshire Cup final against Scunthorpe on May 7.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More